1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP 1020 Laser printer.. good printer??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbaasit, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

Hi, is this printer a good printer. i.e. I heard that after your toner runs out on some of these new laser printers, U have to replace more than juat a toner.

thks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

HP printers do use a toner package that includes the drum, but that is the very reason I bought one about 6 years + ago, it is still as good as new.

The cheaper units that I have used prior to this, where the drum was not replaced with the toner pack became very poor in quality after only a couple of toner packs, or 5,000 prints and were almost unuseable at 7,000 prints. The replacement drums were about the same price as the printer.

On a cents per sheet basis, I have a better run with the HP approach where the drum is renewed each time.

3. kbaasit

kbaasit Thread Starter

Do u think it a good idea t buy a new printer such as the 1020... (I need only a black ink printer) or get a good condition HP4 or 5?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have no idea of the relative values of the HP4 or HP5 compared to where you are and your cost of a new one to you, but the older ones you quote would be too old for me to consider, though total throughput and roller perishing would be the main considerations.

Also have no idea of your throughput, so we simply cannot make those judgement calls when we have no base data.

The HP 1020 is suited to no more than 5,000 copies a month, and will do about 2,000 copies on a toner pack.

My HP 2100 is suited to 15,000 copies per month and does 5,000 copies per toner pack, (rated) but I get more like 7,000 copies per toner.

It's horses for courses.

I use an HP 2100.

5. jbeske

jbeske

If you are doing light work and not expecting it to print a ton of pages as posted in the previous post you will do well with this printer. You could however save a little money and look into a Samsung ML-2010 or Minolta 1400W or 1350W Laser Printer. They are a little cheaper and will do as good a job as the HP. I use all 3 here in my office and printer with them tons.

Consumable wise they all have the benefit of being able to use toner refill kits. The Samsung ML-2010 being the easiest/cheapest to refill as you do need to replace any type of chip. Either way refilling the toner is incredibly easy and will save you thousands over the life of the printer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/529534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice