1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved HP 1022n LaserJet Printer - Replace fuser or scrap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bright0n, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

After my Canon printer recently broke, my dad gave me his spare HP 1022n printer which had been sat in a corner gathering dust for several years.

When I connected it up to my PC and printed a test page, I discovered the toner cartridge was almost empty so I purchased a brand new genuine HP toner. This arrived yesterday and when I swopped out the old toner for the new toner, I thought I was all sorted! But no, now the printing was ghosting on the paper (i.e. whatever I was printing was seemingly getting stuck on a roller and printing this further down the page, albeit fainter).

I believe this is a symptom of the fuser unit needing to be replaced. Is this correct? Could anything else also (or instead) be causing the ghosting? The last thing I want to do is fork out £80 for a new fuser unit only to find that I've still got print quality issues! How long does a fuser unit typically last?

I was also hoping to have taken the printer somewhere for an engineer to change the fuser, but I can't find an HP approved service centre. At least not one that consumers can use.

Am I throwing good money after bad here or should I just cut my losses and buy a new laserjet printer?

Thanks

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I would recommend dumping this printer. For the price you'd pay for a fuser unit, you could likely pick up a cheap, brand-new laser that'll suit your needs.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP LaserJet 1022n Printer (support site)

According to its product specifications section, that printer was designed for Windows 2000 and XP and Vista, so it's obviously a very old one.

You didn't say which Windows version is running in your computer, but it's my guess it doesn't have a software driver package for that printer.

You say that printer sat in a corner gathering dust for several years, so that may be part of the problem.

I agree with the recommendation in post #2.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

6. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

I am running Windows 10. There are Windows 10 drivers for this old printer so I am able to send jobs to the printer successfully.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

This is true flav......as I have a HP 5610v AIO that I bought in 2000 and is still serving me well. As with mine, it was designed to be used with just a few OS's. HP stays current with the printers and writes drivers/software updates for their older printers. If you check here that there is infact driver/software support and download for windows 10. Just click "choose different OS" and they are all listed.

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

As loch pointed out....it may not be cost effective to repair your printer. You would have to check to see what the repair would cost versus what a new printer cost that does what this one does. Then make your decision.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I checked again and don't see any software driver package for Windows 10 64-bit.
    It says to use the Windows 10 built-in driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

HP are pretty good at supporting their older printers with their universal printer drivers.

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Drivers will not fix this print quality issue.

You are correct,it seems that the fuser roller is not being cleaned off. It may clear off on it's own after some prints, but then you would also want to know how much the fuser has printed. I don't see any part numbers for the fuser though so it's not a consumer replaceable part.

13. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Agreed....but that was just to point out to Flav what I was talking about. That link I post in post #3 was for the utility tool below the driver/software package.

14. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. I had no idea the printer was that old. I won't invest any more money in trying to get this machine up to scratch. I'll take a look at what HP laserjets are currently for sale.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!