1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP 503N Recovery CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matty, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matty

Matty Thread Starter

I have purchased a HP 503N computer from an auctioneer. The computer looks new however all drivers have been erased. I have contacted HP and they have not helped me at all. Infact, they were reluctant to even offer it to me for some reason.

My question is this: Does anyone have a recovery CD that might be burned and sent to me. I have no problem purchasing it from you.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Matt Fiddes
    [email protected]

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. dzones

dzones

HP is determined to be the next Packard Bell.
    Either way that model as most of HP's since 2001 do not come with restore cd's anymore. The restore is right on the hard drive. You mention the drivers are gone. I would have to assume that either is has a generic or corporate hacked version of windows that someone loaded and never bothered going further.

Try this:
    The built in restore function is accessible by turning on the computer and IMMEDIATLY tapping the F10 key. This triggers the system restore from the 2nd partition of the hard drive. You will have the usual 2 choices..destructive and non destructive.

If that does not work then someone probably installed a new hard drive or simply erased and re-partitioned it.

HP will only give you a restore cd if you are the registered owner..why? who the heck knows why they came up with that one.

Otherwise let me know if you cannot find a driver. I probably have it.
    Dave

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Dealing with HP over issues like this one will have you wondering how on God's earth idiots like that ever bacame successful enough to attain world-wide-brand-name recognition.

My advice is to find a copy of Windows 98, ME, 2000 or whatever and load it up. Then go hunting on the internet for the drivers. Read whatever chip information you can from the main board and/or add-in cards to identify them. The only alternative will be to spring for a copy of XP home.

I've dealt with HP on things like this many times. Unless you have enough information from the registered owner to fool them into thinking you are indeed the registered owner, they will simply leave you twisting in the wind.

I run a small on-site service business and I occasionally get old name-brand systems here in the same condition as yours. There is usually a product-key sticker on it somewhere; but, that product key works with only the exact restore CD. Seeing that product key sticker is also a certificate of authenticity, I see no legal or moral wrong in loading my own copy of that same version of Windows or an earlier version onto it.

That particular machine was shipped with XP.

Good luck.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

That includes Compaq, Sony, Dell, any any other major PC manufacture... Hence... you're at the mercy of your HD for restoration. This is also how it makes it a bit "cheaper" to buy your NEW PCs.

We know who came up with that one... clue: 9 letters. 2 parts - Starts with the letter "M". hint: Was deterimed to be an illegal monopoly by the US Govt. But paid off Govt. to be left alone.

If you "follow" M$ BS idea that the PC was SOLD with the OS - then from a company like HP - they should have zero problems sending out a Windows CD. Since the BIOS is already coded for the original XP load.... (So how do such machines deal with upgrades?)

6. Matty

Matty Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will try some of your suggestions and let you know what happens. If I need some drivers I will contact you Dave.

Thanks,

Matt Fiddes

7. Matty

Matty Thread Starter

I have contacted HP and they gave me the part number on the recovery CD (5069-4591). We tried to order it from their parts department but the reply was trade sale only.

I have downloaded some of the drivers already but the computer isn't back to its original state. We can't get an internet connection through our ADSL line and its becoming very frustrating.

If you guys no someone out there in this vast universe who have a recovery CD I would appreciate it.

Dave, if you can get the proper list of drivers that would be fantastic.

Thanks for all your help.

Matt Fiddes
    [email protected]

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Standard clean install of WindowsXP
    - install Intel Chipset drivers (available from intel.com)
    - install Intel 3D video drivers

Tricky is modem & LAN

But isn't XP supposed to be able to find these?

Use www.aida32.hu - program to help locate the actual hardware used for modem and lan to locate the drivers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice