1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP 6735s BOOT PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wilto, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wilto

Wilto Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a HP 6735s laptop - recently it got exposed to some water :eek: and consequently the system board was damaged. I've replaced the system board, but now when I turn the power on the laptop doesn't appear to be booting. Upon pressing the power button, the screen flickers ever so slightly once, and i can hear the HDD whirring... the caps lock led flashes several times and the amber HDD led flashes at a constant rate. The screen doesn't show anything and nothign more happens (there is also no sound from the speakers).
    I've tried attaching a monitor to the external VGA port, but again nothing.
    I've tried running the system off both the battery and power supply.
    I've had two 'refurbished' system boards sent out to me - both exhibit exactly the same symptoms.
    Any suggestions on what to test next? The only other components of note are the HDD (which i'm pretty sure didn't get wet), the Ram (1GB+2GB), Processor (can't remember).
    Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt.

2. TekTime

TekTime

1.) Have you swapped out the processor for a known working one?
    I would imagine that if the processor had gotten wet, it is now fried.

2.) Try to remove one stick of RAM at a time while trying to boot, to see if you get the same problem. Also it may be productive to try a stick of RAM that wasn't [possibly] exposed to water.

BTW..if the hard drive was damaged, the system would still POST.

3. Wilto

Wilto Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

From the layout of the board, I don't think the processor got wet. Unfortunately I don't have another one I can test.

I've tried the 2GB and 1GB sticks of RAM in all possible combinations, both on their own and in combination - this makes no difference.

I'm certain the HDD didn't get wet as I removed this and there was no sign of moisture in the housing.

I've realised that both of the 'refurbished' boards i've had supplied exhibit exactly the same faults. The Caps Lock light flashes 5 times after pressing the power button; this happens no matter how much other hardware I connect to the system board from everything to nothing at all (not even processor). According HP this means a 'general system board failure', but I'm not certain if this conclusively means both boards are defective.
    Does anyone know what component evaluates and allows the system board to display the various fault codes via the Caps Lock light number of flashes?

4. TekTime

TekTime

I know of no component that has that function, but it may help to contact HP; give them the serial/model #s of the motherboards and (counting the flashes) inquire if they can determine the error status based on the caps lock flashes. I would assume that both boards are defective but would get clarity (from HP), on what the exact defect is. It's also likely that the caps lock flashing in itself - means mobo failure regardless of how many times it flashes...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice