HP 722C-new cartridge-only 1 color prints

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coov8

I have a Dell Dimension v350 system running Win98, and have had the HP 722C printer since I got the system. (Almost 3 years now.) I've never had a problem w/ the printer. I seem to average changing a color ink cartridge every 8 months or so, and a black one every 5 months, approximately.
With this newest color ink cartridge, I am only getting one of the three colors to print, the red. There's no blue or yellow tones, what-so-ever. I've probably had this cartridge for over a year, becasue I think I bought it as a 2-pack.
I have done the regular 'clean' of the cartridges, and then the 'intermediate' clean and finally the 'prime,' and I still don't have a hint of blue or yellow. Someone suggested to me to do the cleaning 4-5 times until I get the blue/yellow, but that's not working. I've probably 'cleaned' about that many times at this point.
Is it possible the blue and yellow have 'dried' up but not the red? Does it have anything to do with the red being in the middle? Should I just give up and buy a new cartridge? (I guess the answer to that last question is pretty obvious, but I just want to make sure the cartridge isn't salvagable.)
Thanks for your help,
Michelle coov8@earthlink.net

Hi Michelle

What was the expiration date on the HP cartridge box? I note that with HP colour cartridges in local stores near me they are rarely more than 12 to 14 months ahead. Some are significantly less. Unfortunately with HP that number really means that the cartridge will NOT work after the date...no matter how it is stored (though best kept away from ant heat source). Water and/or hot water soaking of the heads is sometimes suggested but rarely works on out of date cartridges. The clogged heads won't wick the water in or allow any still-liquid ink out.

Some sources on the internet talk of trying to salvage dried up heads by soaking in various proprietory solvents but in my experience, with HP printers, when a cartridge is gone, its gone. Some Epson cartridges can sometimes be revived but I think the moral here is not to buy ink unless you know you are going to use it before its expiry date.

Of course, someone may have other ideas......

You have my sympathies. These colour cartridges are a damned silly price these days. Can't believe my last HP cartridge was fairly priced at nearly £50.00 for 38ml of ink!

coov8

...knowing the expiration date on the box.....Hmmmm...that would require that I still had the packaging...which of course, I don't!! The 2-pack came in one of those huge plastic blister-packs that take up entirely too much room, so I pitched it when I used the first cartridge...But, this is good to know for future purchases...like tonight when I run out to the office supply store! I never knew there was an expiration date!

Thanks for the tip and your reply.
Michelle

--What does 50.00 UK convert to in US$? In my area, the black cartridges (42 ml) are about $20 and the color $25.
M

Try soaking it head down in ½ inch of very hot water for a few minutes. If that doesn’t work try soaking head down in ½ inch of ammonia. These are from the site I buy my bulk ink from.

Hmmmnn!:mad:

I think I,m gonna emigrate!

50.00 United Kingdom Pounds = 73.0711 United States Dollars on current rates!

We've got an expression over here "Welcome to rip-off Britain!"

Cars, PC's, CD's, ink cartridges...you name it we pay through the nosefor it!
LOL

Hey Mike – learn to refill them. Get good ink though. The way to tell is that if the part number for the 700 and 800 series color ink is the same as the 900 series color it is probably going to be crappy ink. The two take different inks.

I’ve been doing it for five years now because I print a lot. Black is easy with HP 700 series and up. It is so easy that if I intend to do a big print job 2 sided I always top off the tank so it doesn’t quit on page 187 on the second side. Less than 5 minutes from removing the cartridge to printing with a full tank. Color has a learning curve, but well worth it.

If it makes you feel any better the prices coov8 quoted are for the standard cartridges. The large cartridges are at about the standard ratio between the US and GB – about a dollar equals a pound in computer equipment. The standard cartridge is exactly the same as the large but they fill it only half full of ink – probably 5p worth at their cost. You can refill the standard cartridge with a full tank of ink. You can get remanufactured HP large cartridges for $20 or so, but it is chancy since you don’t know what shape the heads are in of how many times it was refilled before it was sold to be remanufactured.

Hi Slipe

I run a 990 cxi with the larger cartridges. I tried the refill approach with my old Epson Stylus Color with only fair to middling results which is why I've not gone down that road with this one.
I might give it a go on the black cartridge - should run out in about 3 months time.
Of course, I suspect I'll have to replace it the proper way after one or two refills as the heads get wasted.

My main consideration though is quality of printing (mainly colour photos and graphics on high grade papers) and I'm never too sure about the quality of the 'alternative' inks available.

Thanks for the gen.

Mike: Don’t want to hijack coov8’s thread. Haven’t heard back about the soaking.

I can’t tell the difference between printing at photo quality on premium HP photo paper between HP ink and MIS color ink. I actually like Oddparts’ premium black better than the HP ink. I have a 930c with the same heads and print quality as yours. Nowhere near the speed and features of course.

I’ve gone through an entire pint of black for a savings of many hundreds of dollars. The Oddparts WJ1010 premium black has more carbon which makes it more water resistant and prints a little darker at draft quality. With the extra carbon you absolutely can’t let it sit empty or it will clog the heads. I usually get about 8 full refills before I chuck the cartridge. Then I buy a half filled standard cartridge that takes a full refill. I also made a deal with a friend that he gave me his old cartridge and I refilled the new one when it became empty.

I use MIS for color because Oddparts sells only pints, and a pint of each color is a bit much. Both ship worldwide. I’ve been using their inks for years and find them to be excellent. http://www.inksupply.com/ and www.oddparts.com

Use Oddparts’ instructions for the black cartridge using the set screw. I found I had to go one size narrower with the metric set screw he recommended but the SAE was fine. I refill the black with a c-clamp on it. If you fill it and then squeeze the sides to create the vacuum, ink will dribble out the hole.

Some cautions:
Let the HP ink run out before your first refill. Then do the first refill very slowly and let the ink run down the sides rather than fall directly. The HP ink does not have anti-foam ingredients. I’ve never had a problem transitioning from HP to Oddparts ink, but some people do.
Don’t let the tank empty once you have refilled it with Oddparts ink. I have let it empty on occasion but refill it immediately. Again, I’ve had no problems but others have.

I would probably continue to refill my black cartridges even if I could get new ones for the price of the ink I use (about $2.50/refill). I never run out of ink while I’m printing. I never find myself without a printer because I forgot to stock a spare cartridge. I don’t have to make a trip to the office supply store for cartridges. Mostly, I like the WJ1010 ink better than HP’s.

I’m getting reliable color refills as well, but the learning curve was quite a bit steeper. Get back if you decide to take on color. Someone on another board posted a method last year that is superior to anything I had tried before. My biggest expense with photo quality printing is now the paper.

There is no downside to refilling HP cartridges like there is with Epson. You get new heads with a new cartridge and you were going to throw the empty away anyway. I’ve never leaked ink into my printer – then again I follow the instructions.

Hi Slipe...

Thanks for all the great info here.
I'll be taking a long hard look at those links and giving the black cartridge a refill next time around.

Thanks again
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online