1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP 8470P - Turns on, starts boot process then turns off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Watson306, Oct 23, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Watson306

Watson306 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I am new here - I am quite technical, but I have a bit of a weird one where my HP 8470P laptop fires up, goes past the F1 setup screen and then appears to show another screen (much like the screen that asks if you want to resume startup - not sure what it says) but then turns off.
    I initially thought it was a power adaptor or battery as when I connect the battery it begins to fire up then turns off.
    I have tried an alternative power adaptor, with the same results.
    I'm not quite sure if it could be CMOS or motherboard issue?

Many Thanks in advance.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like an overheating issue or other hardware fault.

3. Watson306

Watson306 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.
    I did wonder, but how is it getting that hot in such a short period of time?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you tap the ESC key do you get to a boot device screen that stays on or does the laptop still switch off ?

5. Watson306

Watson306 Thread Starter

Thanks.
    No it gets to the menu, but then turns off more or less afterwards.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A cpu without a heatsink or working fan, will go critical very quickly.

It could also be a broken motherboard trace or solder joint in the power circuit. You turn it on, current flows, it expands as it gets warm and breaks the connection. Could be any number of causes.

CMOS battery simply supplies power to retain the BIOS settings when the PC is not connected to power. It has nothing to do with the operation of the computer. You can completely remove the battery and it wouldn't matter.

7. Watson306

Watson306 Thread Starter

OK, so tonight I've stripped the laptop down and cleaned fan assembly, and cleaned off thermal paste and replaced - with the same results so it appears it's something more serious.
    I'm not really sure where to go with it now as from what's been said its likely to be a motherboard issue then?

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try leaving the Cmos battery and the main battery disconnected overnight, which should set the Bios back to default settings. It's a long shot but has worked for me in the past.

9. Watson306

Watson306 Thread Starter

I've actually tried leaving it disconected for 10 or so minutes previously and the fault remains.
    I am now wondering if the motherboard is faulty. Not really sure what diagnostics to do now tho.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Check the heatsink is not clogged up like the one in the picture, you may have to separate the fan from it to see any blockage :-

[​IMG]

A faulty Cmos battery can cause some strange things so I would try it with both Cmos and main batteries disconnected, only powered by the charger.

Also try it with all combinations of 1 Ram stick in each socket.

If nothing helps you could look for the same motherboard on Ebay.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice