hp 882c two sided printing problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angeltherat

a friend of mine came to me with the following problem...

Several months ago, we upgraded to Windows XP. We've had a Hewlett Packard 882C printer for probably 6 years. There is nothing wrong with it, and it suits our needs, so I'm not going to get rid of it anytime soon.

BEFORE we upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 98, I was able to do two-sided printing. Now that we've got XP, this feature is no longer available.

When visiting the HP web site, they are pretty much tossing the "too bad, so sad, buy a new printer" attitude around. They've got NOTHING.

Is there any way around this? Some method of "trickery" or some kind of secret driver out there somewhere that will enable me to, once again, print on TWO sides of the paper?

We're supposedly running Windows XP Pro, however, that option is NOT in there. I've been looking around on this computer, and on help sites for a few weeks. I've looked everywhere the sites have suggested. Nothing.

On this computer, once Print is chosen, I've got only 2 options. I can choose Portrait or Landscape, then the typical "print from page 1-..." or "print all". Then, I can choose whether or not to print in B&W, or color, draft, best, whatever.

That's it.
any thoughts?

I’m surprised that XP doesn’t let you do two sided printing. My old 722 was hooked up on XP for a short while and did 2 sided printing with the XP install and my 930 is working fine. Both were completely installed by XP without the HP software. You might run through the HP troubleshoot and detect the printer to make sure it is installing the 880C and not a generic driver: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...XGR5UOSQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bpd09005&lc=en&

I also ran into this problem in the past few days. I too have a deskjet 882c now running on a WinXP system and no there is not an option to print on both sides of the paper anymore like there was in Win98.

Yes I did let Windows install its own driver for the deskjet 882c, and the option to print dual sides is No.

I also tried it with HP's driver and still the same thing. If anyone ever came up with a way around this, I would sure like to know. I do like to save paper when I can, and this is really a waste.

I did go look at other deskjet printers the other day and most you had to buy and add on in order to do two sided printing, so I did not get anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The add-on is for having the printer flip the pages so you don’t have to do it. It will print both sides without intervention with the attachment. The old method of turning the pages yourself is still on almost all printers.

It seems to be a problem specific to the 822. As I said the 722 and 930 both still have the feature in XP. Don’t know what to tell you if you removed the driver that XP installed before you loaded the downloaded one from HP.

Thanks for the info on the add on for the HP printer.

I may go back and look at the printers again and get a new one. I just hate wasting paper like this. But even worse, I hate to ditch a good printer :(

But so far, XP has not been as bad as I thought it would be, I sure put off getting it long enough hoping most of the bugs would be out of it by now, guess Bill missed one ;)

theark

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online