1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP A317X Boot Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Debbie5162, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Debbie5162

Debbie5162 Thread Starter

I am working on an HP A317X computer. I want to boot from a CD or a Floppy and I can do neither. I have set the boot sequence to boot from Floppy-CD-HD-Network. After awhile I figured out that by hitting the escape key on the keyboard while booting, I got a boot menu, but I still cannot boot from a CD or Fopppy disk.

It tries to read the floppy or CD and then I get a black screen with a flashing curser and that's as far as I can get.

Does anyone know this computer well enough to help me?

Thanks,
    Debbie

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Put the CDROM first in your boot order. Probably not the problem, but...

Do you have another bootable CD to test? Or are you able to test the CD in another machine? Could be a bad disc.

3. Debbie5162

Debbie5162 Thread Starter

Put the CDROM first in your boot order. -- I've tried this. I've also tried flip flopping it with the floppy drive first.

The disk is good, I've tested the floppy and CD in another machine.

Could a virus cause this to happen?? Or is this an HP thing?
    Could it be shut off in the bios somewhere else, I can't figure this one out.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Some BIOS's have enable PnP OS as an option, you can see if that is enabled. There is also (sometimes) and option to enable or disable boot from CDROM or Floppy.

Have you ever done a bootable CD on this machine before?

A virus shouldn't have anything to do with it, and yeah, it's probably an HP thing. Hunt around in your BIOS for things that look like enable boot from CDROM or alternate disk...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice