1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP and Purple Code!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by erikas3, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erikas3

erikas3 Thread Starter

Hello. I am new to this forum seeking help on my just discovered problem. I just changed out my motherboard that failed on my Pavillion a805n. Once I finally put it back together and did the HP Windows Recovery, I got a 'System Configuration Error' (AKA Code Purple). I called HP and they told me that since I'm out of warranty, they will not help me :mad: !!!
    Does anyone here know of something I can do to fix or atleast bypass my problem? (I REALLY don't want to pay HP!)

Thanks

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Do you have a XP Installation disc?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Code Purple — The Compaq/HP Booby Trap
    http://www.billoblog.com/billoblog/?p=152#comments
    Explanation:
    Code Purple indicates that there was a booby trap placed in HP and Compaq computers in which a “tattoo” or numerical signature of the motherboard and hardware configuration is created at the factory and encoded into the restore disks on a particular computer. When you re-install your system, it checks to make sure the system h I removed the hard drive from my Pavilion and put it in the other system. I then looked for the file that was doing the anti-piracy check. I found it at:

I removed the hard drive from their Pavilion and put it in the other system. The writer of the blog had found the file that was doing the anti-piracy check at:

C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat

The cfgchk.bat file contains the following:

c:\hp\bin\hpdmi r > dmiout.txt
    python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py
    del dmiout.txt
    cd ..
    rd /s /q c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck

The invocation of run.py is the actual check. The way the anti-piracy mechanism seems to work is to loop in the check if the comparison between the motherboard BIOS string (returned by hpdmi.exe) and the expected value fails. By looping in the error message, the check effectively puts the brakes on Syscheck, so the final configuration of XP never completes and you don’t get to a functional Windows desktop. Since the loop is in run.py, you can bypass the problem by just removing the invocation of the Python script. In other words, delete the line

python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py

For the writer of this thread this worked and he was able to reboot. However for me, I ran into some complications.

When I reinserted the hard drive to the original computer, it pulled up to Windows after a very long time configuring. When it got into Windows there was a message that said XP Pro could not open because of a missing boot.ini. I went to msconfig and did a boot.ini check and it said everything was running properly. I checked for the boot.ini in the C directory and it was there. (Read it)

Anyway, I rebooted and then it would not open windows, it would only pop up to the safe mode option page. If I tried to go into safe mode it just restarted again. The only option was to turn off the computer.

I did a system restore (I didn’t reformat in hopes I could save the data files.) Of course, it reinserted the python. So I was back to where I started.

Another reader in the blog wrote in that he had called Compaq and they told them the only solution was to tatoo the new mobo by deleting the ConfigCheck folder.

So I again piggybacked the hard drive, went to C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck and deleted the ConfigCheck folder. Again it rebooted to Windows and then I received the same boot.ini error.

I tried using a Windows 98 starte up disk at this point to see if I could bypass the boot.ini and solve the problem but that didn't work.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Dang . . took me a while to find that thread . .

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!