1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP BSOD/random shut downs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Beenzsouflee, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beenzsouflee

Beenzsouflee Thread Starter

Hi all. I have a few month old HP Pavilion m7 notebook. in the past two days it has given me several blue screens of death. sometimes it will just shut down completely with no warning. sometimes the screen distorts and the computer starts making a loud blaring screaming noise then it shuts off or i am forced to power it down with the button. after each of these episodes it takes several tries to get the computer to turn back on. the power light will come on and the fan will start to whir but otherwise nothing. moniter stays black. i realize my computer is probably screwed....this is very frustrating and scary. any advice is appreciated

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8087 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 931703 MB, Free - 806695 MB; D: Total - 21861 MB, Free - 2354 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 181C
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

2. Lance1

Lance1

Please go to C:\Windows\minidump Copy the files there. Create a folder on the desktop and past the files there and name it Minidump. Compress it and upload it here for review.

Can you confirm that the sound is coming from the hard drive, or is it coming from the power supply?

3. Beenzsouflee

I am not sure where the sound is coming from.......

Attached Files:

4. Lance1

Lance1

That zip file you uploaded is empty. can you confirm that there are files in the minidump on your system?

5. Beenzsouflee

Im sorry about that. Im kindof guessing at how to do it :/

Attached Files:

6. Lance1

Lance1

That one is also empty. Can you follow the image and tell me what the setting are under System Failure

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Beenzsouflee

this is what mine said

Attached Files:

8. Lance1

Lance1

Look in C:\Windows and see if there a a file called MEMORY.DMP If it is there compress it and upload please.

9. Lance1

Lance1

Come to think about it, that file would most likely be to large. There is a cap of 500kb for a zip file so if the zip is larger you wont be able to upload it. Set the System Failure to Small Memory dump and the next time you blue screen it'll save a file in C:\Windows\minidump. Please upload that file.

10. Beenzsouflee

I hope that worked

Attached Files:

11. Lance1

Lance1

This is a little strange. It's empty as well. As per my post #9 (Set the System Failure to Small Memory dump) and see if it saves a file on the next BSOD. How often are they happening?

12. empty213

empty213

Try to do a memtest86+ on all your RAM sticks, get a flash drive of any size, download the bootable usb installer of memtest from their website, then install it in the flash drive. Restart your computer and boot from the flash drive, make it run until it is finished. If it finds any error, then you have faulty RAM that might have caused the BSOD.

13. Beenzsouflee

the BSOD has happened at least ten times in the past few days....sometimes on startup and sometimes when starting a game...sometimes when surfing. they may all be empty because im saving them wrong???? sorry. noob.

14. Lance1

Lance1

As per the settings I suggested in post #9 Have you done this?

15. Beenzsouflee

I have not blue screened since th post. It mostly happens while playing Games ...like dragon age for example....but this game has been running fine on this computer up until a few days ago.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice