1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP C6180 won't print to photo tray with Win 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CryinCoyote, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CryinCoyote

CryinCoyote Thread Starter

Installed HP photosmart C6180 on Dell windows 7 desktop. Originally had scanner issues but HP tech support had me install a trick HP Deskjet 6500 driver as a work around. Now 4 x 6 paper size is not an option on print set up, hence will not print to the photo tray. Also memory card slots give error on card message, tried several cards, card is not the problem. Any suggestions. tc

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you installed a driver that is not for that printer, I doubt there is any hope for fixing it. I checked and there are downloads/drivers for win7. Why did you install the incorrect driver? Did it not work with the correct driver/download?

3. CryinCoyote

Did install latest correct C6180 driver for Win 7. HP Tech support had me install the 6500 driver per a specific install process as a work around to get scanning to work.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did it print correctly before you installed the other driver?

5. CryinCoyote

It worked perfect installed on my old Dell XP-- bought a new Dell Windows7 and installed the C6180 on it, with the Win7 drivers. The drop down under printer properties / photo tray option has a yellow triangle --and there is no option for 4 x 6 size paper (which is what is in photo tray) The 6500 and C6180 are assigned to the same USB port per the instructions of HP tech. Both printers are listed in printer drop down list from any document, but C6180 is not listed on the Devices and Printers page-- just the 6500. And you can select either printer for printing documents on 8 1/2 x 11 paper, no problem. Before on the XP when you wanted to print a picture you simply selected paper size 4 x 6 borderless or borders and it would default to the paper tray.
    Figured out the problem with memory card slots--- specs say 1 gb card max, 2 gb works-- won't read cards over 2gb. I was trying to read 4gb cards.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the hp driver for that printer does not work correctly and the native windows drivers do not work correctly either, you are pretty much out of luck with using win7. This is a common issue when going from one os to another; the device mfg either does not release drivers OR they have problems.

About the only things you can do are wait [and hope] hp releases a driver/software that does what you want OR get another printer and use the one you have now on another system.

7. CryinCoyote

Thanks CRJ, buying another printer was not my first choice, as this 6180 was pricey when I bought it several years ago--- HP is holding a free tech forum on Jan 11 and 12, so I will hound them for a fix then. appreciate your help. tc

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice