1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Cd-Writer 8200e Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sabella1231, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sabella1231

sabella1231 Thread Starter

I recently acquired a (used) HP CD-Writer 8200e. Of course, the original driver CD is nowhere to be found. I'm wondering if anyone out there has access to a resource for this driver. I've gone to HP and apparently, if you need the Win98 driver, you have to pay $9.95 for a CD -- there is no download option. I have all the necessary USB drivers, but nothing to make the darned thing run. Windows is recognizing the burner, but can't do anything about installation. It's not that I can't pay for the driver, I just feel compelled NOT to because I think it's ludicrous.

Anyway, that's my question. Hope someone out there can help me out.

Thanks!

2. mtbird

mtbird

3. sabella1231

Thanks for the advice, but it's not free there...if you click on the Win98 option and go here:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...c=en&softitem=Microsoft Windows 98&sw_lang=en

you'll see that the only installation program for Win98 is available only on CD; the rest of the stuff on the site is the USB driver update, not for the CD-Writer proper.

As I said, it's not that I can't afford it...I just resent that HP would do something like this, so I'm looking for a way around it!

Thanks again!

4. mtbird

mtbird

Well, I can tell you that I have this same CD writer for my old HP computer and when I updated, I only needed to install the new USB drivers and the Record Now software. Both are available at that site for download.
    I can see that they want to charge you for an actual disk.

5. sabella1231

This burner is a new install to this computer, not an upgrade, which is where HP has me...I got it used from my sister, who no longer had the software. The USB stuff is no problem, just the drivers.

I have searched high and low through several device driver sites and can't seem to come up with it. Just thought that someone on this site might be able to point me in another direction.

Is this a new policy from HP? Is this a standard thing? I thought it was really, really odd.

6. mtbird

mtbird

Ok, let me try to explain a little clearer.....
    we are talking about an external CD Writer that is connected thru a USB port. Correct ? It doesn't matter whether this is a new install or an update.
    If you had the actual installation disk in hand, the two essential things contained on it would be the USB drivers and the recording software. Both can be downloaded from HP. The drivers you need to install this writer, are here.....

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...iter18534&lc=en&sw_lang=en#download_link_area

The software that enables you to use the burner is here......

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...974-1&prodId=hpcdwriter18534&lc=en&sw_lang=en

While it says it is an update, it is actually the whole program. You can read that they say to uninstall any previous versions first.

You would install the drivers first. It will then tell you to plug in the burner and the add new hardware wizard will take over the installation. Point it to the location of the drivers and they will be installed. Lastly, install the software.

7. sabella1231

Oh, okay. Thanks for that info...I will try it tonight or tomorrow. Thus far, the problem has been that there has been no recognizing the device from Win98 so I assumed that there was additional software necessary. I will try reinstalling the USB file and working from there. Sad but true, I am pretty new to the whole USB thing so I assumed that additional device drivers were required.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it...

8. sabella1231

Just wanted to say thanks for the help...reinstalled USB drivers and Win98 recognized the burner this time...got the Record Now software and all is well!

Thanks again for walking me through it!

9. mtbird

mtbird

Excellent ! Happy recording !! :)

Debe

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice