1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Compaq nc6000 boot up error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jordster, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I was given a non-working HP Compaq nc6000, which wouldn't start up. However I fixed this problem by adding RAM (It had none).

However, now I have this problem. Whenever I boot up the laptop, it says Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

I replaced the hard drive with 3 different drives, all ATA. However, just then I pressed the Power button 3 times at startup, and it showed me how the CMOS had just changed. I pressed 'I' (for ignore) to verify the changes at next bootup, and it still won't boot up, and gives the same error message.

Could anyone help me with this?

Specs:

Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz
    256MB DDR RAM (For now)
    CD/DVD-RW Drive

Thanks in advance

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

That's usually the floppy drive error recieved when there's a floppy disk left in on boot? Not generally a hard drive issue? Jazz

3. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

There's no floppy disk in the computer, and there's no floppy drive anyway.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So are you trying to install an operating system? The CMOS battery may be dead.

5. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

Trying to load up Windows on my computer.
    On a HDD I booted from my Windows XP setup disc, and copied the files to the HDD, but I can obviously not access them because of this error.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You copied files to the hard drive? What do you mean by that? Did the Windows installation start and then fail after restarting automatically? Or did you manually copy files from the CD to the hard drive?

7. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

The XP Installation copies the files to the hard drive, to boot up next with those installation files. Trouble is, I can't access the files because of it not booting up right.

8. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

I have cleaned all the dust out of the laptop and tried to reboot. Even disconnected the cmos battery for 5 minutes then reconnected it and tried to reboot without the battery, as another forum advised. No luck.
    So what it does now is just starts then shows the 'Non-system disk' message. I can access the bios by pressing F10, but the 'HDD Self Test' is there but I couldn't select it as it was greyed out and wouldn't allow me to click on it.
    I have tried several times to load Win XP, in which it does but when it resets it just goes back to the same message.
    I have chosen boot sequence to Multiport first then DVD rom.
    Any help.
    Thanks

9. Jordster

Jordster Thread Starter

I just changed the HDD but it still does the same!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice