1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP/Compaq Pavilion/Presario Fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoasterFreak, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    If any here has an HP Pavilion or Compaq Presario PC or Notebook (current models), they will notice that the fan kicks in when needed. The fan doesn't really annoy me as much on my Compaq laptop, but on my HP desktop it is really annoying and loud. I think it forgot that it was only supposed to come on when needed because it is now on almost all the time. Can someone explain to me how this fan works in more detail and how I can possibly adjust when it comes on or at least the fan speed, SOMETHING!!! Thanx in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the fan kicks in more then it used to it might mean that the computer needs a cleaning. These fans are temperature controlled and only kick in when a sensor detects the temperature to be at a certain level. Sone fans need to be on at all times - like the one on the CPU - but it may be possible to control it speed with software or BIOS settings.

Speedfan comes to mind, do a google search for it. It will list the motherboard temps and allow fan speed adjustment if the board supports it. If you have a case fan you can control its speed, as for the CPU fan - thats best left on a full speed.

First, open up the case and see if it needs a cleaning. You can also replace stock fans with quieter ones if they are too loud or wearing out.

3. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    thnx triple6, all it needed was a good cleaning:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/199237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice