1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Compaq presario c700 disc drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by layla456, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. layla456

layla456 Thread Starter

My disc drive will load audio cds but it can't load games or sometimes dvds. It runs but can't pick them up. The windows media player will pick up audio cds. I don't know what the problem is. Can someone help?

2. noodles71

noodles71

are you running xp or vista?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact model number and the part/product number of your Compaq Presario? It'll be on a sticker on the case.

If that computer is a few years old, it's possible that the optical drive is going bad and needs to be replaced. Is it capable of playing both CD's and DVD's?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. layla456

layla456 Thread Starter

It runs on vista. I only bought the laptop about a year ago. I've tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing but that didnt work. It's capable of running cds and dvds and did so up until about a few months ago. It will load audio cds though which is confusing. The model number is Compaq c740EM T54502G. Thanks for your replies. The drive makes noise as if its trying to read the disc and it trys for ages, but it doesnt pick it up. I've checked my computer while it runs and nothing shows up. :(

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and software site for your Compaq Presario C740EM laptop. I suggest that you save this site in your browser favorites list so you can refer to it when needed.

Here is the section on playing CD's/DVD's.

There's no driver to install or uninstall for an optical drive. Once it's installed and connected to the computer, it's automatically detected. What you're probably uninstalling and installing is CD/DVD burning software for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. layla456

layla456 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help :) That site looks really good, im having a look at it now. I'll let you know how I get on.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice