1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP comps and Upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I.N.K, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I.N.K

I.N.K Thread Starter

My friend, like an idiot, bought an HP comp, even though I offered to build him one.
    Moving on, It's an HP Pavillion.
    Now, to my understanding, you cannot upgrade an HP with just any RAM chip, it must be HP endorsed RAM, can anybody verify this?

2. McTimson

McTimson

As long as it's the same type and speed RAM, it should work fine. All HP would do it slap their sticker on it.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. I.N.K

I.N.K Thread Starter

A friend of mine had an HP (a different friend) and when he bought RAM to upgrade, it wouldn't work. He thought it might be defective, so he returned it, got a new one, and still had the same problem. When he bought HP endorsed RAM, it worked fine...
    This is part of the reason why I ask

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Nowadays - HP and many others don't mess with the MEMORY like they used to, back in the Pre- Pentium3 days. As memory became faster and more exact, there was less room for them to PLAY with "standards"... besides the head-ache and angering their customers.

Modern HP sytems (at least the Nforce board) is quite nice - but it would already have 2 slots of 2x256 filled... that would have to be REPLACED... unless he wasted money on the 128~256mb versions.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice