1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Computer Refuses To Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KeithKMC, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KeithKMC

KeithKMC Thread Starter

I know a fair bit about computers, but I don't know very much about how HP has decided their computers will work. The boot and conifgurations of the HP computer my friend has are unusual. :confused:

Firstly, the computer boots up and begins to beep, and it beeps at a steady pace (this isn't a post error I've ever heard before). Then it goes to an HP/Intel Pentium 4 scree, and my options are <Boot Options> <Setup Options> <Network Boot Options>. Clicking on Boot options freezes the computer 70% of the time, and the setup Options appears to just be their version of a BIOs setup. As far as the BIOs is concerned it all looks alright. Now my friend says that the person who sold it to him had it set up, installed windows and it booted into windows, he was told not to turn off the computer, but he did. Now it won't boot up again.

Secondly, the computer has a black CD-ROM it came with, and a CD-RW drive he put in there. Both were in there when I got there, but if I change the configuration of, or remove either the computer doesn't boot up at all. A couple of times it didn't seem to boot up at all regardless.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong with it, leaving it at the HP/Intel screen (as I thought maybe it would just boot up) results in it informing me that it has updated information on a device, this device's name is nonsense and random characters. All I can think of is telling him to whipe the hard drive and try booting into an operating system. ANY help would be nice. As for the specifics of this computer I don't know at this moment, its a Pentium 4, RAM unknown, 2 CD drives, Floppy Drive, and a Maxtor Hard Drive (that may or may not be working). I'll try to get more information. But if anyone has had a similar problem, or knows anything about HP boot procedure, would be a BIG help. I built my own PC from scratch, and I haven't the darndest clue what is wrong with his.

2. Nutech12

Nutech12

What TroubleShooting have you done on this PC? Have you tried letting it sit unplugged yet for 5 minutes to clear out any Bios Corruption? If you have and still no change then try pulling keyboard, mouse and remove PCI cards. If still no change pull all memory and see if your beepcode changes. If you get a different beepcode try memory at base config.

3. KeithKMC

KeithKMC Thread Starter

I've tried taking out the CD-ROMs, had both out, had one in changed them from master to slave, and it didn't seem to boot. The Beepcode didn't change, there is only 1 PCI card, a network card, everything else was onboard. It doesn't sound like a beepcode is the problem, it just beeps constantly for like 1 min when it starts to boot up and then stops. It beeped the same even when both CDroms were out and there was no display. Thats what was unusual to me, why should removing one of the CD-ROMs cause the display to fail? I will try that letting it sit unplugged, and maybe I'll see if I can get a schematic for the manual so I can try flushing the BIOs. I'll also try the keyboard and mouse thing.

4. n2gun

n2gun

I would go to Hp website and download a manual. Also it sounds like it may not be holding the bios setup when shutoff. I would change the cmos battery and then go into bios and set it to default and see what happens. As far as the 1 minute of continuous beeps, it is trying to tell you something. A search on HP's website may give you the bios code.

5. KeithKMC

KeithKMC Thread Starter

I figured it had something to do with the POST error reporting, but usually they are a series of beeps, like two, or three, seqences. This is just a constant beeping. Your BIOs idea might work, but the computer is brand new just about, he took it out of the wrapping when he got it. The BIOs ideas might make sense, only why would it constantly be coming up with the device whose name is just random characters? Are all HP computers this confusing? I mean I built my own PC and it was way more user friendly.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice