1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP crash--no disc 1---HELP please

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pluto77189, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pluto77189

pluto77189 Thread Starter

Well, I tried to open a quicktime file, and my comp crashed, and the HD started making this otherworldly clicking sound--didn't sound good.

I restarted, and the message came up: Failed system boot, insert recovery disc and hit enter.

so, I dusted off the recovery disc package, and lo-and-behold---I am missing Disc 1!

I have the user's guide, dis 2 of 3, disc 3 of 3, and well, another disc 3 of 3!

two #3's, but no disc #1! I don''t even know if the recovery disc will fix the problem.

I have a P3 733 , HP 8760C. Woks fine for me, since I have no time for games anymore, and I don't need video editing as of yet. I really don't want to get another computer right now.

Does ANYONE know where I can get ahold of the missing recovery disc? HP says tough luck, as microsoft has them under contract, and they cannot distribute anythin win 98.

Is there anywhere I can DL the software that was on it, and burn it onto a CD(from work or a friend's house)?

What else can I do?

2. Moby

Moby

Just looked HERE and it looked like they were available when I went a bit further to check.

3. pluto77189

pluto77189 Thread Starter

I had looked at that too...but the guy that emailed me said I needed windows 98, and that THAT wasn't available. I think he was referring to the OS itself, not the recovery disk.

Thing is, I would rather not spend the $25 on something that i #1 SHOLD have had, and #2 don't even know if it'll work!

Worse comes to worse, it doesn't work, we have to cancle roadrunner(drat). until I get a new computer(yeah!).

Although that'll make it possible for me to play the newest games...

One of the "good" things about not haveing a powerful PC, is that I don't waste time and money on games. My Xbox covers that part.

however, with those new RTs games, HL2 and Doom 3--I might HAVE to get a new comp regardless.
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice