1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP demo page loading on reboots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moonlit801, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonlit801

moonlit801 Thread Starter

I spend enough time reading this forum, figured it was time to register and jump in. I am running XP pro and have an older hp photosmart 8450. upon every reboot of my computer i get taken to this link

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\Congrats\8400demo.htm

it is the page that says "congrats your hp printer is installed" and allows you to print a demo page.

i went into my program files and found the link and it is located in a folder called "congrats". in this folder is another folder called "images" and three html files with the little ie icon next to them, one is called "8400 demo", the other "test_page" and the other "7400_test_page"

can i just delete these things to stop it from running on restarting my pc?

thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Uninstall your printer software using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.
    Go to this link, for YOUR printer, install whatever you want and leave whatever you do not.
    For instance the original install CD, installs to the HDD all the User Manual, Software Manual, etc most of which the average person does not need or want.
    Have you by any chance used one of these AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE your drivers programs
    If so therein lies a lesson. Do NOT use them, they have a habit of installing the wrong drivers and software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=402150

3. moonlit801

thanks for the link. that was what i was going to do, uninstall all the crap and just load the drivers for my printer. what i did do was do a search for the "8400demo" file and found it in three places, i deleted them all. if upon rebooting it still comes up i will take your advice and just uninstall and reinstall. i don't usually update my drivers automatically however i have done some windows updating and there were probably drivers for the printer there so who knows....thanks

Lisa

4. Macboatmaster

I was pleased to help. That is what I and all the other advisors are here for.
    However, "that was what I was going to do etc"
    is a strange way of saying "Thank you"
    The main purpose of the reply is to ask you to mark the thread SOLVED, it keeps the forum tidy and saves people wasting time looking to assist on solved threads.

5. moonlit801

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to sound crass....not a great first response to a request for help. please accept my apology. I don't want to mark this thread solved until i reboot and i've been out on the road most of the day.

6. Macboatmaster

moonlit801

No problem and thanks for the post.
    It maybe that the 8400 was a series of HP Printers and then the 8450 was yours in that series.
    You would have to check the HP site, via the link I gave you.
    I do NOT think it has come from Microsoft Updates as I notice the last HP updates for YOUR printer were some years ago.
    Another way round it would have been to STOP it running on START UP.
    Pls come back if not sorted out.

7. moonlit801

only because i am trying to understand...I will ask this question. yesterday i did the file search for 8400demo and found it in three places, i deleted it from each place. now when i reboot it still tries to direct me to that page but says file not found. I did disable it from start up.....is this happening because its in the registry?

8. moonlit801

Ok, I rebooted and now after the pc comes up, on my desktop i get a Windows Internet Explorer box with this in it:

Cannot find 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/Hewlett-Packard/%7BAAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D%7D/Congrats/8400Demo.htm'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

when i close the box my pc tries to go to the web.

I realize i can probably stop this by reinstalling software but shouldn't there be a dopey little file somewhere i can just delete to turn this thing off?

9. Macboatmaster

When you search you will have to commission the search to include hidden files and folders.
    Are there still ANY Hewlett Packard printer software etc in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Control Panel, as that is of course the easiest route. - as per my post 2. AND do another search for just files with Hewlett-Packard in file name and see what that brings.
    An alternative is to try this link. It is perfectly safe it is Microsoft and automatically establishes a restore point. JUST ENSURE that System Restore is turned ON.
    It is in itself, a good thing to run every three months or so anyway. You will have to disable pop-up blocker to use.
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-Us/center/cleanup.htm.
    If you download the latest software package for your printer, THE WHOLE package, it will probably delete this entry anyway and then you can commission what is left as you wish.

10. moonlit801

well i just deleted ALL my hp products from my pc, ran a registry fixer and i am about to download from hp's site....Im a bit worried tho because it deleted a file for making .pdf's. i hope i can get that working again as i need it for work...lol

i'll let ya know

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't mention if both your computer and printer are HP models or if just your printer is a HP model. If just your printer is a HP model, then uninstalling all the HP-related entries in the Add Or Remove Programs list and then deleting all the HP-related folders from inside the C:\Program Files folder won't cause a problem.

I don't know what registry "fixer" you installed and used, but it probably caused some other problems. Don't ever install and use a registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type program, no matter what it claims it can do. It'll detect some valid registry entries as invalid. When you remove them, the end result is some programs that no longer work or work right, and also damage to the operating system.

It's my guess you had some HP-related stuff that was auto-loading every time you started your computer. Disabling them from auto-loading would've probably solved the problem.

Whenever you install a software package for a HP printer, don't select the default/full option because you'll wind up with extra crap that you don't need. Select the optional/custom option and then select what you want to install.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

12. moonlit801

its a custom built pc running xp pro and and just the hp printer and an hp scanner. so far so good.

as far as the registry fixer...my friend who is a it person installed registry mechanic. i just ran it and found like 400 errors. it fixed all but one but i'll take your word on removing it....i don't need more headaches..

lets see what happens when i reboot....lol and thanks for all your help

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Uninstall PC Tools Registry Mechanic before it causes you real grief.

Unless you have other PC Tools programs installed, locate and delete all the leftover PC Tools folders after you uninstall Registry Mechanic and then restart.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. moonlit801

I uninstalled all of hp's software, went to their site and reinstalled software for my scanner and printer and that message is back on reboot. i get the "do you want to register your product" it gives me three options, yes, remind me later, cancel, i have hit remind me later and cancel and it still takes me to the hp demo page....this never did this before a few months ago and i've this printer installed for a few years.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - Startup(tab).

Write down the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them. Make sure to spell them exactly as you see them listed.

Post the list here in a vertical column.

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice