1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet 5550: Power Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hirnsausen, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen Thread Starter

Hi.

Hope this is kinda the right sub forum to post my request here.

I have a HP Deskjet 5550 printer, but its power cable was stolen. Now I need again a power cable, but can't find such anywhere around me. I should say, that I live in Jamaica. So the amount of such shops is limited. I of course contacted HP and many online shops without success.

There are two versions of that cable: one with a triple plastic plug towards the printer in green or gray or some other color maybe, and one with a single metallic cylindrical plug - that one I need.

I want to ask here, if there's anyone here who could sell me that type of cable? If so, please PM me, and also show me a photo of that cable and plug (to ensure for me it's the right one).

Thanks a lot.

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

3. Hirnsausen

Just tried, they don't seem to have anything for "HP Deskjet 5550". I tried the search. But thanks.

So, i am still in need to ask if anyone might have such a cable for me, for sale. Thanks.

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you tried ebay?

5. Hirnsausen

Yes, I did. And I tried various websites. i tried any PC shop here in this town, and called even more islandwide. I inquired through the HP website to them, but even after 6 months I have not received any response from the, though I inquired several times.

That's the reason I decided to inquire here, despite that this is a forum more for regular questions and not for purchases. But here are many persons who might just have what I need so much, and since I failed in all other ways, I decided to go ahead here. I am also very happy and appreciate it, that my thread wasn't banned or closed.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Try going here: $35
    http://www.bizrate.com/laptop-power-adapters/hp-deskjet-5550-printer-power-cord/

One of the offices I work at, we took a 5550 to a computer recycle center last year.

While it doesn't sound like the exact same type of power supply, it could be compatible... its common to change brick types. Here is a photo, check out its Amps/Volt and compare to whats on the sticker on the printer itself... it should be somewhere - rear or bottom.
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-13583232596255_2101_3602322

That printer is almost 8 years old. If you cannot locate the PSU or at a good price, perhaps replace the printer... and put a sign on your HP 5550 "might as well steal this too" :(

I'm going to guess that electronics cost a bit more in Jamaica... but here is what I kind of saw today.. check out these:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=178
    While NOT on the website - I saw the PIXMA MX330 for $60 on a store shelf. Its like the 350, but without the wireless networking. Also saw PIXMA MP490 for $50 too (same store). These modern printers will use less ink, printer faster and less noise. Comparing that to a PSU that may work for $35.

7. Hirnsausen

Hi, and thanks a lot! Well, the printer worked very fine, in fact, I bought the printer just a few days before I left (for a work in another country). I bought it in 2004, I think. Also in 2004, I left Jamaica and worked in the Cayman Islands. I returned to Jamaica in 2007, but saw that the cable then was damaged by then - I had someone in my apartment to keep it for the meantime. Well, and since that time I try to find such a cable. Since three years, meanwhile. Wow.

Your photo seems to be correct! I need the output of 32 V and 94 mA. Do whatever you have to do, to get that cable! Murder. Kill. Use nuclear weapons! ;-)

There are two kinds of cables - some with a triple plastic connection where the cable connects to the PC, and some which have a single metallic cylindrical connection. I need that last type.

The photo you have there, shows the cable I need!

The link to the HQRP at BIZRATE seems to show a compatible device. If you can't get the one at your place, I will just buy that one! Thanks a lot! After all those years, my Odyssee might come to its end, and I can stop fighting the Gods.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, but I would consider such sources to be 100% accurate. Hence, you need to check the power stats on the printer itself. The blow-up image shows its output.

9. Hirnsausen

Hi again! It's exactly what I need: I need the output of 32 V and 94 mA.

If you can get that cable at your office, please let me know, how much you would like to charge for it, and how to pay. I want to give a try. If you like, PM me.

10. Compiler

Compiler

The 5550 printer/etc was given away about a year ago. As I modernized the office - I setup a 3 network printers to replace about 6 older printers, some offices have NO printer.

If you use google, you may luck out and find that power unit for less, maybe $20.. who knows.

google is your friend.

11. Hughv

Hughv

I have one, and you're welcome to it.

Attached Files:

12. Compiler

Compiler

That looks like a better deal, Hirnsausen... :)

13. Hirnsausen

Thanks to both of you! Hugh V., yes, I would love to have that one! Wow! Would you like to PM me about the How? I need to know the cost and the shipping fee to Jamaica.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice