1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet 5550 series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave.buller, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave.buller

dave.buller Thread Starter

When I print any document the printer feeds a page through the printing head but does not try to print anything. When trying to print a test page I get the message that the test page failed to print but a page is again fed through the printer. The printer status shows 'deleting' but does freezes in this status. I am running Windows XP Professional and have also been through the help actions but have been unable to solve the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I haven't run into this problem in so long I have almost forgotten what I did to correct it--almost. Uninstall the printer and all related software that came with it. Use the uninstall feature of Windows to do this (Start> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs). Then go to Start> Control Panel> Printers and be sure the printer is gone. If not, right click on it and any items related to it and select 'delete'. If prompted, select to remove the printer and all related files.

Restart the computer. Download the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site and install it again.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If the above doesn't make a change, it is time to connect it to another computer and see if it behaves differently there. If not, it is the printer, itself, and not a configuration problem and it will need to go for repair. Usually, repair costs on an inexpensive, out-of-warranty printer rivals or exceeds the cost of the printer.

In the absence of instructions to do otherwise, never connect any USB printer until after loading its software.

If you don't have access to the original setup instructions, see above sentence.

4. arknorth

arknorth

Be careful of using Add/Remove on a printer, as it can sometimes remove more than you'd like (such as shared drivers from Windows, thus labotomizing your machine). The 5550 comes with a removal software with its instal disk. The even quicker and safer way is to simply delete the ICON for the printer in the Printers and Faxes file in your Control Panel. You can reinstall after that.

I have two of these machines, and love 'em both. But every once in a while it will squirrel up a bit. Many times, when it shoots a sheet rather than prints, it can be as explained above, or it can be a bad ink cartridge. Before deleting software, pop its lid and see if the carriage moves to a cartridge arrow.

Also, 5550s have an internal print tester - hold the top button above the power button for a few seconds until the green power light starts blinking. If you get a test print, then it probably is software or Printer Cable related.

A-N

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In the absence of a specially developed removal tool from the developer, Add/Remove Programs is the recommended method for removing a program.
    This printer is giving problems. These problems may be associated with a defective file in a related program that was installed with the printer, maybe even one of its driver files. Simply deleting the printer from the list of printers in Control Panel may not remove all of its associated files.

Add/Remove Programs or a developer's removal tool designed for this printer are the best chance of removing defective files and incorrect configurations.

6. arknorth

arknorth

I sold these machines, and own 2 of them - I know what I speak of. Deleting the icon and REINSTALLING the software will overlay and replace any malfunctioning software, AND prevent damaging any parts of Windows.

Depending on which version of Add/Remove the person has will determin just how safe it is. I've seen first hand what first generation, SP1 and SP2 errors have done when used when best not used.

A-N

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice