1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet 870Cxi wont print in win7 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jaygor, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

I migrated my HP Deskjet 870Cxi from a WinXp laptop to a new Win7 32bit laptop. I use a parallel to USB printer connector cable. The printer works fine under WinXP.
    Now the printer will not print under Win7. All jobs are held pending. I can confirm under Windows Devices and Printers that 870c printer driver is recognized. I tried to print a page from Notepad, a test page and text alignment page.

HP website says that Win7 has all the drivers and it will load them. I confirm that Win7 does load drivers for 870c but NOT 870Cxi.

I checked Windows 7 hardware compatibility at Microsoft.com where it lists a couple of hundred Deskjets that are compatible including 870c, but it does not even list 870Cxi. The nearest comparable listed model is 890Cxi. But again the drivers for 890Cxi is already loaded on Win7 32bit. But Win7 chooses 870c.

I was hoping to rely on HP 890Cxi backward compatibility with Win67

Now I am stuck. Can anyone help please?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those drivers are usually for a number of models at the same time and I expect that they will work fine for your model, too.

They installed all right, didn't they?

If the driver installs a virtual port, try changing the port number.

3. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

Hi
    Thanks for the suggestion but I have the problem solved.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02663742&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=58744

I followed up your idea on changing ports but it confused me its my lack of knowledge..
    I googled the problem together with the port and it hit the above link.

HP has a vast website and I don't now if I would have come across it myself. Howevewr I followed the instructions and it updated the 870c driver for Win 7. The printer works now.

Thanks for the hint. I think it will be another decade before I lose this printer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice