1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet D1660 printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by vatten, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vatten

vatten Thread Starter

Although I use a Canon printer myself, a friend has asked if I could help with a problem on his HP deskjet. We are both so called "silver surfers" but I'm reasonably literate. My friend is completely new to it all. I installed the printer according to the book and it appeared to work on normal b/w text A4 plain paper. However on trying to print colour text the printer simply started then hung and would not budge.
    I uninstalled it using Windows (VIsta home premium) uninstaller and re-installed it. (He uses a Dell laptop in the Inspiron series.) It appeared to finish the re-install but the CD icon stayed spinning on the screen and I had to close down to get rid of it. Again the printer would produce a test page and b/w text but not colour text where there was a mix of b/w and colour text. One thing I would add is that on the 3rd attempt to reinstall it did not completely finish the reinstall but went into a loop? at the "installing software" line. However it would stll print b/w text. Can you please help? We would have gone gray in the head by now if we were not already there.
    Thank you
    Vatten

2. oksteve

oksteve

Firstly you might like to consider going to the printers support pages on the manufactuers website. See if you need an update to the drivers for the printer.
    Second. Have you tried your canon on the other machine ?
    As you probably know, when it comes to fixing anything techy its a case of trial and error in tracking down the fault...and its always the last thing you try :)

It the printer is fairly new then it most likely a software/communication problem between both machines.
    The fact it hangs when being installed suggests this.
    When my HP plays up I have to switch off my lappy and then it prints,yes I need a new one ..lol

If its an old machine then it may not work with Vista or might work with Vista but only 32bit machines.

Not printing colour means it was not told too.
    Printer stopping means its busted or its waiting for information.
    Again it seems to point to communication issues which in most cases means driver update or a sharp blow to the side of the machine. I would opt for the former as the latter can get messy:)

3. maceman

maceman

Hey Vatten,

Did you check your toner cartridge, maybe the problem is there. Try at least take it off and put it back.

4. vatten

vatten Thread Starter

Thank you oksteve and maceman for taking the time to answer. I'll try everything you suggest.
    Both his laptop and printer are brand new (his daughter thought he should have one). It is in fact a 64 bit machine so I wonder what effect this is having if any? Incidentally Idid disable the firewall and antivirus (both Mcafee) before installing.
    Kind regards
    Vatten

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice