1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625e Refuses to (re) Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rokfreelance, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rokfreelance

rokfreelance Thread Starter

HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625e Refuses to (re) Install

My printer is an HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4625e (4620 series). Firmware Version: CAP1FN1451AR
    First, this is what I can do with the printer.

• 1. Print internal ‘Test’ pages and reports.
    • 2. Print documents in all applications from a wireless, networked laptop.
    • 3. Print documents using ePrint.
    My computer is an HP Omni All-in-one Running Windows 7 Home Premium X64

The issue is I am unable to (re)install the printer on the HP Omni using either ‘Add Printer’, HP downloads or the installation disk.
    Hoping for a definitive solution.

Background: Just over a week ago I upgraded from Office Pro 2010 to Office Pro 2013. When I went to print I noticed the dfautl print was showing as One Note 2013. I selected the HP printer then hit print. I got an error message: Word Cannot Print this Document. There is no printer installed.

I tried to print using NotePad and an Adobe document (thinking it may have been Word related only). This did not work. I could print from any application using the Desktop. But, as noted, I can do so from the networked laptop.
    On opening the Printers folder OneNote was set as the default. I changed the default to the HP printer. No luck. I was told it was not installed.

I ran Malwarebytes Premium and Microsoft Security Essentials to check for possible incursions. None.

I then tried System Restore. No change.

I then tried to repair the print program. No change.

I then uninstalled Office 2013. No Change.

I then tried the “Add Printer” function. No Luck. I was informed: “Unable to install printer. Some files are missing or incorrect. Reinstall the driver or try using the latest version.”

I then tried to reinstall the printer. First as a straight reinstall then second after doing a complete uninstall using Revo Professional Uninstaller and an Advanced Scan.

This did not work, yet the printer is recognised as being on the wireless network during the reinstall process
    This is what I Cannot do: (Note: during any install attempt I disable both Malware Byes and Windows Security Essentials. I have also attempted installs with the Firewall turned OFF.)

1. Cannot reinstall on the system. It refuses to allow a wireless network installation even though it shows on the install screen.
    2. If using ‘Add Printer, it says files missing or incorrect.
    3. If installed using HP Download, I am able to input IP Address but it does not show the computer name. It says either. “Computer’s Network Name: Retrieving’ OR ‘Computer’s Network Name: Unable to Retrieve’.
    4. When install fails, I get the screen asking to search for a solution which then gives me instructions re a download ‘Helper Application’.
    5. After attempting to follow those instructions, the downloaded ‘solution’ does not work. It tells me the program is not a valid win32 program.
    6. Instead of trying to install over the wireless network I have tried using the USB Install process. The printer then only installs as a ‘Fax’ Printer. On checking the Device Manager – Show Hidden Devices – it shows a ‘Multifunction Device’ with a yellow exclamation mark (!) next to the driver. On checking, it says I need to reinstall the driver.
    7. Any attempt to convert the USB connection (even though it only installs as a fax printer) to a wireless connection fails.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

did you try a System Restore to a date before you installed Pro Plus 2013?

3. rokfreelance

rokfreelance Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for responding.
    Yes, as noted above,
    "I...tried System Restore. No change."

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

From a different forum:
    "
    Gave my user account full control over C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and all subfolders
    - Removed and re-added Print and Document services from the Add/remove windows components
    - Installed Common HTTP Features from the Add/remove Windows components under Internet information services > World Wide Web Services > Common HTTP Features"

Sounds like a sensible solution, no harm in trying it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice