1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Deskjet Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AKAK, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AKAK

AKAK Thread Starter

I've been unable to print even B/W text with my HP Deskjet 940c for some time, and the status light is blinking to indicate an installation problem with the color cartridge (rather than just an empty cartridge, although it probably *is* empty). I've tried unplugging and replugging the printer, wiping off the copper contacts, firmly reseating, etc. Because it used to work, I assume the cartridge itself isn't defective. I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth gambling $35 for a replacement cartridge if it turns out that the problem is something else and the printer will have to be replaced anyway. (I'm reluctant to do that
    unless it's necessary because it's hard to find a model that will be economical over time given that our usage is low, we don't print much in color, and we never print photos.)

Any ideas about whether a replacement color cartridge is likely to work?

Thanks for any help!

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I use re-fillable cartridges in my Deskjet all the time.

If you have HP's printer software installed, I believe there is a utility to check if the cartridge is truly empty or not.

3. AKAK

AKAK Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it is empty, but the error signal suggests that there's some other problem as well, which is preventing me from printing in B/W. That's what I'm asking for help to identify.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Have you run the troubleshooting utilities like re-calibration and priming the heads?

5. wacor

wacor Banned

I think i recall if there is an issue with the color cartridge that the B/W wont print either. and i believe i have seen it posted here where if one never uses color that after so long there are issues with the cartridge

I think you probably need to gamble on getting new cartridges

at least that is my opinion for what it is worth

6. AKAK

AKAK Thread Starter

Alas, this requires printing -- which I can't do. But thanks for the suggestion.

7. moneyspider1

moneyspider1

I would suspect the carriage its self, that hold the cartridge, or try to resolve the light error's with this procedure.

lift the top cover of printer
    turn printer off and on again
    unplug power cable
    move carriage to middle of the printer
    remove cartridges and close cover
    reconnect power cord
    open top cover and reinstall cartridges, close cover. thats if you have not already tried this.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

yeah replace the cartridge, an empty cartridge on an HP can give you the same message.

9. raybro

raybro

You don't say what model your DeskJet is, but I have an HP 720 DeskJet printer and got a black ink cartridge for $19.00 (plus tax and shipping, about 4 bucks) at WalMart online. Look for MSE compatible. The color cartridges are around $23.00. It works just fine.

Just go to https://www.walmart.com and do a search for HP printer ink cartridge.

Raybro

10. AKAK

AKAK Thread Starter

Took the chance on a new color cart., and the printer works just fine. Many thanks for the help.

11. wacor

wacor Banned

kind of figured that would do it. they only are good for so long i believe even if not used

glad you did not find it a waste of money and it worked for you

you can mark this one solved if you like. go to the thread tools on top right of the page and there is a drop down menu

12. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I had a HP DeskJet 812C that did the same thing, it hasn't done it since I replaced the Office Depot recycled cartridges.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

hey another happy ending!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice