Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP deskjet refuses to print

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I have an HP deskjet 722C about 7 yr old that has a parallel connection only. I recently updated my 5 Y/O pc to a more current model that does not have a parallel printer port. The printer prints fine & I have several spare cartridges that cost a lot of $$ that i don't want to waste so I'm not eager to buy another printer. I therefore bought a parallel to usb cable hoping it would solve the problem. When i attached the cable, windows responded by recognizing it (good) & announced that it was installed correctly (good). I saw the printer in devices & printers (good) & set it as my default printer. However, when i try to print a document, everything seems to be fine, including print preview, but the printer is totally silent, not a peep. D&P shows 1 document in the cue, waiting for printing, but nothing happens. The printer seems to be the only link in the chain that does'nt know that everything is hunky dory.

Is there a simple solution to this or is the printer toast?

Thanks for any help.

Ron

#4 ·
Ron:

Here is the support and software site for the HP Deskjet 722c printer.

That's a pretty old printer, so the only driver download available is for Windows 95. There's no driver download for Windows 2000, XP, or Vista.
(Note: You didn't mention which version of Windows you're using.)

If you're using Windows XP or Vista, you might want to read here(XP) or here(Vista).

----------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
#7 ·
If your computer has a PCI socket free or a PCIe socket available you would probably be better off with a Parallel port card rather than a USB - Parallel adapter as these can be troublesome. Such as a card like these listed here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iption=parallel port card&bop=And&Order=PRICE
Agree 100%. The performance of USB to Parallel adapters is generally erratic. HP printers seem to have a particular problem with these adapters as do Lexmark printers. An expansion card with a hardware controller is a much better option. Using Windows Update to search for your printer should find the correct driver.

#9 ·
Flavalle: I'm using win 7 home premium. I entered that info into my profile just before i posted, I tried the link for HP but it was not helpful. I also tried the links for Vista & XP but they seemed to be more for loading the driver. My driver loaded (albeit not with the usb port mentioned by Mumbodog)

I didn't realize that these adapters were erratic, I'm glad i didn't pay much for it. I don't want to buy a card just for a parallel port because I know the printer is old but I'd like to at least try to get it going if possible. Mumbodog: the port is: Port_#0002.Hub_#0004 which is not the same as the one you identified. Could that be the cause of the problem; if so how do I change it?
Thanks
Ron

#11 ·
I can remember when win2k came out that there were problems with the parallel port type printers [HP] This is because NT based os like win2k, xp, vista, etc configure the parallel port very differently than dos based os like win9x.

HP released some patches that were supposed to work and adapt the parallel port so that it would work with the hp printer. I was never able to get it to work correctly.

FWIW I would really just buy a new usb type printer and be done with the problem. Printers are so cheap now that it makes little sense to waste time messing with the issue.

#14 ·
Advice well taken. I've known that parallel ports have not been appearing on new pc for years & I guess this is the nail in the coffin for them as far as I'm concerned. Info on these posts very informative which is why I really like TSG. Gues I'll buy a new printer. Selling the cartridges on ebay too is a great idea I never thought of.
I consider this problem solved.

#15 ·
Advice well taken. I've known that parallel ports have not been appearing on new pc for years & I guess this is the nail in the coffin for them as far as I'm concerned. Info on these posts very informative which is why I really like TSG. Gues I'll buy a new printer. Selling the cartridges on ebay too is a great idea I never thought of.
I consider this problem solved.
When you buy a new printer, check to see if it comes with a USB printer cable. Many printers no longer come with one in the box, so you have to buy one separately. There's nothing more frustrating than to get your printer home and start to set it up and then realize you don't have a USB printer cable.

If you stick with HP, get a Deskjet or Photosmart all-in-one model. The scanning feature can be difficult to learn and use for some people, but the printing and copying features are a breeze to learn and use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.