1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Desktop won't boot up. I get 5 short beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skernk2, Jun 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Hi, Looks like my HP warranty expired awhile ago and I tried getting support from HP but no luck so far. I have an HP 500-214 which has been working beautifully until recently. When I press the start button it immediately beeps 5 times, stops briefly, then another 5 beeps but the computer doesn't boot up and nothing showing on my screen. I've tried removing all external connections and power, pressed the start button before connecting, attached all devices and cables, plugged in power and pressed the start for 15 secs. From what I have read on HP support website, 5 short beeps indicates a minor issue but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The beep codes depend on the motherboard and the BIOS.
    From searching, I think your HP has an MSI motherboard MS-7778 (JasmineR)
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04100368

On one thread I found a person with an MSI motherboard started getting 5 beeps when he plugged a mouse and keyboard into a USB hub.
    Did you recently add a USB hub? If so, remove it and see if the beeps stop.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion 500-214 Desktop PC (support site)

From what I can determine, 5 beeps indicates a memory issue or a system board failure.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

I disconnected all connections - power, monitor, printer, accessory etc. then pressed the start to deactivate held button in for 15 seconds then reconnected all cable and still getting the 5 beeps.

5. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

If that is the case, i guess I have to bring it to someone to do a diagnostic evaluation. The only other thing that could be causing this problem is that the computer was not used(unplugged) for 7 mos. It started right up and did do all the updates. Worked for over a week and then the beeps started,

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What you should have done is only connect minimumthings like monitor mouse and keyboard - nothing else.

7. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Was following the HP minimal support which said to remove all devices. Any suggestions as to what to do next. After the 5 beeps cycles 5 times it stops but still doesn't load but I am keeping it on thinking maybe it is doing some kind of update but computer is quiet.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It isn't going to update. 5 beeps indicates there is a problem. If Windows doesn't load - no updates get downloaded and installed.
    You need to find out what error (5 beeps) the computer is telling you. Until you do, you have a non-functioning bit of hardware.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try installing a new Cmos battery.

10. replay

replay

Take out memory and re install
    Take out power plug first

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    According to what I've been able to find 5 short beeps denotes a succesful BIOS recovery. Open your desktop and make sure that the BIOS recovery/CMOS clear jumper is set on pins 1-2. Not 2-3.

Make sure you shut it off and remove the power cord before doing so.

This may not be it but it's certainly worth a shot.

12. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Was able to get this fixed easily . Someone suggested that I remove the memory and reseat them. I did that and also gave a slight push to the small silver battery. Sure enough it booted up.

13. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Not really sure what HP printer support has to do with a desktop problem. But thank you @david543 for the input. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

EDIT: Note that I (TerryNet) edited out the spam link from the above quote.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
  14. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Thank you Replay. You are absolutely correct. Someone else (Nextdoor) recommended doing that and it worked.

15. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

Yes David, You are correct. Someone else recommended doing that and it booted up right away.

EDIT: Note that I (TerryNet) edited out the spam link from the above quote.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice