1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP DL380 Resetting randomly, NO BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steveperry, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveperry

steveperry Thread Starter

I have a DL 380, and I was told it was blue screening, so I put it up on the rack and powered it on, waited a day or two with no blue screen.

I then used Prime95 to stress test CPU and RAM to try to get a blue screen out of it that way, but all it does now is reset without a blue screen.

I disabled automatically reset on system failure, and it still resetted.

I then checked HP ASR to make sure it wasn't resetting the system after failure, but that was already disabled.

I checked event viewer theres nothing major in there really except a event saying the system shutdown unexpectedly.

There server has two power suppiles, one must be going bad because when I plug it in one I get the same result but only quicker thean the other.

Could the other power supply be bad aswell, and suggestion to what I should check, software/hardware wise.

If you need anymore info i'll reply quick!

Thanks,

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I would test power supplies first and then memory and temps.

I once had a power supply that failed intermittently. I got a volt meter that has a serial port interface and a program to record voltage every second. After two days, I confirmed what I suspected. The power supply would sporadically drop voltage low enough to restart the system.

3. steveperry

steveperry Thread Starter

Thanks Alex, i'll look into it, i'm testing one power supply at a time as we speak.

It's odd there is a LED on the front of the server that indicates wither Power Supply Redundency is working. It was always amber with the two plugged power supplies in, which indicated its not working.

I pulled one out few minutes ago booted up without it in, and the LED is green, indicating that redundecy is working, with only 1 power supply.

Anyway i'll keep you updated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice