1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Docking Station won't charge laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HPLaptop99, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HPLaptop99

HPLaptop99 Thread Starter

I have an HP Compaq nc8430 laptop running Windows 7 attached to an HP docking station HSTNN-1X01-444706-1.

The battery in the laptop will not charge when it is in the docking station, but will charge when I pull it out of the docking station and plug the AC adaptor directly into the laptop itself. All other functions in the docking station work normally except for the battery charging function.

I have also tried it in a 2nd docking station with the same results, so believe the problem is in the laptop and not the docking station.

HELP!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It may be the power adapter.
    I do know that Dells do this sort of thing where they won't both run and charge in a docking station if the power brick is not a 90Watt one. Use a 70watt one and it complains.

Check that the adapter is powerful enough.

3. HPLaptop99

HPLaptop99 Thread Starter

To clarify the problem, the laptop switches from ac to battery completely when put on the docking station. It is not just a case of running on ac but not charging the battery. So I wonder if it could be some sort of problem in the control set up?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My suspect is the docking port. Maybe one of the contacts not making contact.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice