1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP does not boot, no beeps, but video?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpaceInvader75, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75 Thread Starter

I would like to get this computer working; but I can't determine if it's even worth my time unless I can troubleshoot it more.

On the front it says HP Pavilion 1268c. I'm not sure if that is the correct model number, because there is another sticker on the bottom, with some numbers. It appears to have an Athlon X2 cpu (from the front sticker) and it also says XP Media Center Edition 2005 (I don't even remember what media center edition was). I can't see most of the other specs yet, because I can't get it to boot.

When I turn it on there are no beeps, which I find odd because the video is working. It shows a blue screen that says HP and it gives me some choices, for example F10 to start recovery, but I can't start anything or go into setup, because there is no response when I press any of the keys.

It looks kind of dusty so I was going to clean it out, but I don't know how to troubleshoot a problem like this; I've never seen a computer do this exactly. I'm kind of confused about having no POST beeps, but video, and I'm not sure what to do if doesn't respond to the keyboard, or what that would indicate. It looked like the keyboard light light up for a second and then turned back off.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

First, check for bad capacitors. Click here, then click the pictures on the right side of the page. If there are any that look anything at all like these, your board is most likely toast. Personally, I have had success replacing them; but, it is a delicate job that requires expert soldering skills and some pro grade soldering equipment. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a 0.5mm drill bit and a pin vice.

Next step is to eliminate your peripheral hardware. Remove all add-in cards from the board, except video. Disconnect hard disks, optical drives and everything else but power. Try booting. If there is no change, you have narrowed it further.

If you have more than one memory chip, try them one at a time.

Have the power supply tested at a local shop. They will probably do it for free on prospect of selling you one if it's bad.

At this point, you are down to the main board and processor.

It's just a process of eliminating one thing at a time until you have determined which part is bad.

3. SpaceInvader75

Thank you. I have seen a motherboard that died in a storm. When it wasn't the power supply I looked at it and saw that some of the capacitors did not look right. So I will inspect that first. I need to get some compressed air and blow off some dust first because I can hardly see it. I am not an expert solderer but I could check the price of a replacement board, if it turns out it is not a faulty component.

I will post again when I find out more.

4. SpaceInvader75

Well, it looks to me like there is a motherboard problem. I disconnected the hard drive, the CD-ROM drives, and even the network card (graphics are built in) so there was nothing left but the memory in the slots. I got the same problem. So then I took out first one memory (there were 2) and then the other, even one to another slot, and that did not help. If I take out all the memory I get 3 beeps, which I think is a memory problem, but otherwise the error is the same.

I guess I have the power supply tested, just to be sure, but other than that I seem to have a motherboard problem. Although, I did take a look at the capacitors and none of them were obviously damaged.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice