Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP DV6700 running extremely slow......factory reset?

4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have an HP dv6700 laptop almost 5 years old. Recently the screen went blank and after searching through the online forums and performing a number of tests, I figured the issue was with the video card as that issue is apparently known for such laptops with NVidia cards. I had that fixed and the repair firm informed that they performed the following:
We perform a thoroughcleaning & blow out the fan.
To protect against future issues, we also install a copper shim & Arctic Silver thermal paste.
I had my hard drive removed before sending out the laptop for the fix. After it got back and the video being fixed on the laptop, I replaced the old hard drive back. However, now my laptop is running extremely slow. It was not this slow prior to the video card issue. It freezes if I try to use the windows defragmenter or run any other tasks that require significant hard drive usage. I was able to run the defragmenter after using a free non-windows version but that didn't help much. Internet pages take ~3 to 5 mins to load. However, connecting the laptop to my work computer remotely works like before. I'd like to know what could potentially be the issue and ways to resolve. Would a system restore help? I was able to transfer all my saved files to another laptop. The only thing i'd lose (and trying not to) would be Microsoft Office since I can't find the product key.
System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 at 1.66 GHZ
RAM: 3 GB
32 bit operating system
Any help is much appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I just ran the disk check using the Windows version.

CLCS - I clicked on the link you suggested but that stuff is over my head. Not too sure what I should be downloading from there, etc.

Anyways, the Windows disk check said that no problems were found on the disk.

Question now is - what are other potential issues with the laptop? I feel like the disk defragmenter helped slightly in that the programs on the C drive seem to run ok. I doubt i'd have been able to run the disk check without freezing the laptop before but at this time I was able to do so. However, the internet pages still take ages to load. And I know it's not a network/Wi-Fi issue since other devices are running ok.

Would a factory reset help? Any other options I have?

Thanks again.

#5 ·
What browser(s) are you using?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#8 ·
Yes, it happens with both the Ethernet cable or the wireless.

I may have been wrong regarding the programs running ok but not the internet. It took me 3 tries to get the laptop started today coz it kept hanging up during startup before the login page. it literally took ~ 30 mins to load techguy.org. I was finally able to reset IE but no change.

I was able to obtain the product keys using magical jelly bean so thanks for that recommendation.

Any more suggestions?

For something of this sort, would a factory reset help?

#9 ·
Possible help for the browsing ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
-------------------------------------------

It sounds like the system may be pretty messed up; if so a reset to factory default should certainly help. But, the root cause could be a hardware problem. Before doing the factory reset I'd check out the hard drive and memory.

A popular memory test is Memtest86+.

The best hard drive diagnostics are ones you can get from the hard drive manufacturer. Most times, however, I just use Windows' disk check. In a Command Prompt--or elevated Command Prompt if necessary--I run chkdsk. If errors are found I then run chkdsk /f and respond yes to the question about running at the next boot. Then restart, let the disk check run, and repeat the process until there are no more errors or the errors seem to be non threatening.

#12 ·
No worries. I appreciate you providing guidance.

I looked up the memtest site you provided and didn't know what to download. What should i be looking for there? The latest v4 from 2011 has three different versions and I'm not too sure which one would help??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.