1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP dx5150 cannot see my SATA hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pew446, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pew446

Pew446 Thread Starter

I have an HP dx5150 Small Form Factor PC, and I recently had a hard drive fail on me. I have determined that the hard drive was the problem, as I cannot see it when I connect to to any other computer supporting SATA drives. So, I grabbed another hard drive from another dx5150 that is the exact same type, and both the BIOS and the Windows XP setup disk cannot see my hard drive. The BIOS is set configure SATA drives as IDE, so it should show up. Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

3. Pew446

Pew446 Thread Starter

I have already done this, but it still says it can't find any drives, and BIOS doesn't report any drives other than the CD Drive. Thanks for the reply!

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

All BIOS's are a little different so not having the machine in front of me I can't tell you for sure exactly what is wrong.

In BIOS if SATA is set to Configure SATA as IDE then you don't need to load a SATA driver. Look in BIOS under ADVANCED > DRIVE CONFIGURATION and see if you have ATA/IDE Mode. If you have that setting your options should be something like DISABLED, LEGACY or ENHANCED (or NATIVE). That setting should be ENHANCED (or NATIVE). ENHANCED or NATIVE enables all SATA and PATA resources.

If you have ATA/IDE Configuration set as ENHANCED or NATIVE and Configure SATA as IDE BIOS should see the drive.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That system also uses a pretty old chipset with only SATA 1.5GBs support, it may have trouble detecting certain SATA 3Gbs hard drives unless they have a jumper limiting them to SATA 1.5Gbs mode. Your other HP may have a newer BIOS revision. Something to check.

Also try another SATA cable or another SATA port and verify that SATA is still enabled in the BIOS as in some of these systems it can disable itself if no drives get detected at boot.

6. Pew446

Pew446 Thread Starter

I have determined this is actually a hardware issue. For one, I was able to see and install windows on my hard drive in another computer, with a 1.5gb/s cable, yet the dx5150s cannot see it. Plus, half the time, when I turn on the computer, it either sits in POST for eternity, or it gives me a flashing red light 9 times with a 2 second pause, which HP says means:

"System powers
    on but is
    unable to
    boot."

The solutions are:

"1. Check that the voltage selector,
    located on the rear of the power
    supply (some models), is set to the
    appropriate voltage. Proper voltage
    setting depends on your region.
    2. Replace the system board.
    3. Replace the processor."

I'm sure the voltage selector is correct, so it looks like the system board or the processor is dying on me. This would make the 3rd dx5150s to die on me this year. :I

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice