1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP equipment/software

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Davey7549, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Until now I have been an staunch advocate of HP and the support
    they have given however here is a story I wish to relate.
    I own several pieces of HP equipment all purchased new and I will say have had few problems with. Previous to this day all of the problems have been solved rather quickly. Over the last two weeks I have been corresponding with the e-mail support group
    for a software issue concerning the photosmart photo print software that starting giving out of memory messages when trying to load a pic. Knowing a memory issue was not the cause
    I followed thier instructions anyway to delete all temporary files using the *.Tmp proceedure through search and shut down all non-essential programs running in background. Sound advice if the system is not maintained. Upon explaining through a reply e-mail that the system was clean per their instruction and resources are at 87% with 387MB of RAM free they suggested I call for one on one support. When I did call the next day the response I got was
    my unit went out of warrenty 10 days ago and would have to pay for support. I refused since I was working with the e-mail tech support people during warrenty and they could not solve it.
    Bottom line is do not waste time with the e-mail support group if your warrenty is close to expiration. Call them direct.
    Lastly I fixed the problem myself and here it is for anyone that may have the same issue. HP software has a habit of leaving many and large files in the windows\temp folder. The photoprint software reviews the temp folder and if it finds it overused will kick the out of memory for this function message. I removed 132 MB of old files associated to HP printing and photo functions and now all is peaceful again.
    Dave

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You can't tell me nothing about HP I didn't alreeady find out the hard way :)

Have you tried Cleanup.exe. I go to internet options & delete all thats deletable daily. Once a week I run Cleanup on basic as to not to delete anything pertinent.... I deleted 32MB's of temps this week.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/zeus/cleanup.html

Savvy :)

ps... it sounds like a toilet flushing...lol

3. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Savvy
    Thanks for the info. It looks as if Cleanup does much the same as Spider which I am currently using. Does it review and remove the old leftovers in C:window\Temp?
    Dave

4. hewee

hewee

5. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

Hewee
    Thanks for the advice. At this point the Davey and Goliath approach; (pardon the Pun couldn't resist) is going to reap no benefit since I solved the issue myself. However I did register a complaint with HP for what that is worth and probably make a few more posts around the internet advising people to not use the E-mail support until after their warrenty is up.
    Again thanks for the links I will keep them, use them, and offer them to others to.
    Dave

6. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

davey7549-----For what its worth, any problem which occurs during a warranty period and which the company is attempting to fix automatically extends the warranty as to that problem. This is required by all state laws I know of and depending on the product federal law as well. Note, if a new problem arises outside the warranty period it wouldn't be covered.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549 Thread Starter

gbrumb
    Thanks for the advise I appreciate it. I will file that away for future reference since the problem is academic now.
    Dave

8. hewee

hewee

davey7549,

Hey your welcome there.
    Am glad you got it fix but still HP was ? you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice