1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP External Hard drive - files are all read only and I can't change it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sopheee, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sopheee

sopheee Thread Starter

Hello,

I was recently copying a heap of files to my new HP Simple Save external hard drive and all of a sudden it wouldn't let me, saying that it was read only.

I have googled what seems to be everything and tried a range of options including-
    -unchecking read only option in properties
    -using cmd.exe option to look at storage device and next to read only it said no
    -registry files - found some instructions to change read only in storage device options, but there was no storage device options, there was storage, but no option to remove read only
    -i have also ensured that i have enough permissions etc..

Some details about my computer are-

Asus F5
    Windows Vista
    AMD Athlon X2 64 (not sure if this is relevant?)

Would really appreciate some advice if anyone can help me?

Cheers

2. krehator

krehator

From what I have heard about those drives, it is a problem with the proprietary setup of the drive. It is classic HP stupidity. The drive is coupled with junkware, which eventually fails to work properly.

I know it sucks, but I would backup everything off that drive. Uninstall all the HP software and drivers related to it. Then go into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Storage. Kill all the partitions on the drive, setup a new one, reformat, and use it without all the HP junk.

After that, make sure to setup proper permissions on the new volume, and re-copy everything back. If you do not need NTFS security, then format it with exFat.

There should be a law against junkware..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice