1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hp G60 243cl backlight

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westiemom, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I have a hp G60 243cl laptop. the screen only shows for a short time and then goes black. If I hold a light to the side I can see there is something on the screen or if I attach an external monitor I can see the laptop. I just bought a new backlight inverter card and it still has this problem. Since I can see everything through a monitor to me that says the graphics card is fine. And when i start up I do get normal light till just after it loads to the decktop and goes black I am thinking the lights them selves are ok...please don't say the motherboard..LOL What else can I try cheaply.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does the light still go out in Safe Mode ?

3. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

yes still goes out in safemode

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you go into the Bios and wait say 5 minuted does the light stay on ?

I asked about Safe Mode because it uses a different Graphics driver so it probably isn't a Graphics drive problem.

Does it always go off at the same point when you try to get into windows ?

5. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

today I tried to see if it also went out in BIOS and yes it did :-( When I start the laptop i I would say less than a minute it would go out. I just had a thought and tried something and so far so good (knock on wood) I went to the device manager and uninstalled the video card and had to reboot. when I returned from the reboot it started to install the drivers for the video card and I had to once again reboot. as of right now it was on for about 5 minutes. I spoke too soon as while typing this the screen is black but seeable with flashlight. this is the longest it has stayed on.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It could be the cable between motherboard and screen, see if leaving the lid in different positions changes anything.

If it is the backlight they can be very hard to replace.

7. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

maybe I could try replacing the cable..I wondered if the backlight itself was bad but I see it periodically and then maybe gets hot and they shut off.so maybe the cable is my next step and pretty cheeep

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes the cable will probably be cheaper than a backlight and easier to fit although it does involve dismantling the screen.
    Try moving the lid around as I said earlier, if that makes the light go off or on then it probably is the cable.

I would look on Ebay for the cable.

There are a couple of videos showing how to disassemble an HP G60 on Youtube.

9. westiemom

westiemom Thread Starter

I did move the lid with no difference

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok. I have to go now. Good luck with it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice