1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP G62 Series Motherboard Swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by koroshb, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

Hi all!

<Unrelated>
    This site and the helpful people here are (insert curse word here) AWESOME!!!!
    </Unrelated>

I have an HP G62 340US model laptop. I was wondering if I could take the motherboard from a G62-130EG laptop and swap it with mine (mine has an AMD processor and mediocre graphics - the other one has better everything). They both have the same physical I/O locations on the outside, is it the same inside? They are both (as you know) from the same model family. Could this be done? I will use my old RAM and HDD, but with a clean system reinstall.

Please tell me if I need to supply other info.

I want to do this because I don't want/have the money to buy another laptop.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

If you are planning to install a retail version of Windows, and the motherboard physically fits the case properly that should not be a problem, as far as the Ram Goes if it compatible with the motherboard there should be no problem.

3. koroshb

koroshb Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah, I have a retail Windows copy, and i'm just gonna take my current amount of RAM and pop it in there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!