1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP G62 W7 hangs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sturoc1, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

I had purchased used an HP G62 laptop with W7 Home installed
    4 gb ram & 160 gb hdd
    the price was right but I do suspect that the seller knew of this problem hence the sale.
    I expected some hiccup with the unit but not this one:

Boots up just fine all programs work, But after a few minutes whether running a program or online, It will randomly hang with the cursor displaying that lovely spinning wheel.
    the screen then will go a light grey shade until it comes back to life after a minute or two.

I have lived with the problem till now and am looking for a cause of this, since it is getting annoyingly old to deal with waiting for it to un-freeze. ( do i mean thaw ? Ha ha )

To add to the 'misery loves company' thought , I have ck'ed HP forums and this seems to be a common problem with alot of Laptops from them if not others as well.
    And what really sucks is i do not have the laptop's W7 key or a new W7 disk to work with so no fresh install.

Any ideas ?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is so we can determine the exact HP G62 series laptop you have.

Note: The complete model number has a dash ( - ) and a series of numbers and letters after G62.

------------------------------------------------------------

If you bought that laptop used and still containing all the "debris" and problems from its previous owner, you really need to do a clean reinstall of Windows and get a fresh start with it.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

As mentioned I do not have any discs But did find the W7 product key on a fading sticker underneath.
    Wouldn't mind doing a fresh install there is not much on the HDD right now.

HP G62 info:

P/N : XH054UA#ABA

S/N : CNF04598LQ

Bios F.29-04/07/2011, Keybd version 69.37
    AMD II P 340, Dual Core 4 GB ram

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to product number XH054UA#ABA, your laptop is a HP C62-347CL model.

Here is the support and downloads site for it.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed.

Here is the HP section for purchasing a system recovery disc kit for it.

If HP no longer has the kit available, you can purchase it from here.

If the built-in system recovery partition in that laptop doesn't work or if the hard drive needs to be replaced, the kit will be needed to get it going again.

Here is the section on how to do a system recovery.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5. sturoc1

sturoc1 Thread Starter

Thanks flavallee

You have reminded me that one of the first things I did when I got the laptop- before I noticed the problem- was to make a set of recovery discs! I did that in addition to getting rid of the bloatware antivirus also installed AVAST . I have read thru the process to do recovery and will attempt this tomorrow morning.
    Gonna do the clean install .

Thanks so much !

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. :) (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice