1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP hibernation issue!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dket, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dket

Dket Thread Starter

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to post this as i'm not entirely sure of the problem, just the symptom. A bit about me, I'm fairly tech savvy. I've taken the Cisco CCNA courses as well as the A++ hardware courses, along with messing with computers for around 15 years. So I do know a thing or two.

My problem is this, I've started helping friends with tech problems with interests of starting a computer repair business, normally I do malware removal, hardware replacement and networking troubleshooting. But a co-worker at my actual job brought me her laptop after being quoted several hundred dollars and complete system wipes to remove a bunch of malware. She uses a HP notebook. model G62 144dx. Running Windows 7. After some finessing, i removed it. Basically a registry edit to prevent that particular malware (Windows 7 defender Trojan) from functioning, i found the registry files thanks to another tech site with the problem listed. She then purchased malwarebytes pro under my recommendation and was pretty much good.

The next week she starting complaining of hibernation issues. She would let her computer hibernate over a weekend. Closing the laptop, normally plugged in so she said. when she opened it it did not wake up, and she was forced to hard re-boot it. Doing that prompted the system to come back with an improper shutdown message and options for 'resume windows, safe mode'. That whole screen. Choosing resume pushes the system into a system repair function. Cannot disable or bypass this. After about 20 minutes of scanning it tries to system restore, which fails.. then the system boots normally and she can use it. I'm trying to avoid a full wipe and re-install of the OS. I looked through the log of the system repair and found a single issue. Something to do with a KDcom.dll file. I know this is a registry file but I did not alter or remove any such file during my malware removal. I checked against the file list on the other tech site. Ideas?

Also.. don't have access to the laptop during the writing of this post, hence the lack of the TSG sysinfo log. Should have access around the time i get a response.

Thanks guys.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice