1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP JetDirect Printer Servers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sdante, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdante

sdante Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to test HP JetDirect Printer Servers without putting them on a network? There is a Self Test function but is that enough?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. sdante

sdante Thread Starter

Yes, I dug through a lot of their support pages but couldn't really find much. Maybe that is all there is to it; just running the self test.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yea... I'm sure you got a handbook too.
    I'd just play with it... but read the book so you don't miss out on something.

5. sdante

sdante Thread Starter

Ok, well I was just hoping there was a "trick" someone knew of for testing those things. Thanks! :)

6. eurodochter

eurodochter

Connect a printer ( I believe it must be a HP printer as default ) to the parallel port ( first port fot 500x models).

Push the test button for a few seconds.

A configuration print-out is printed with the configured IP-addresses. Connect your jetdirect to your computer with a crossover kabel to the lan port and ping to the jetdirect like --> ping 192.168.1.1. If you get a reply you may sure its working.

For windwos XP you just defining a standard Ip port with this IP address and you can work with it. For other OS you use better the HP software.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Not testing them on a network wouldn't be much of a test of their functionality would it? What are you trying to test?

8. sdante

sdante Thread Starter

I'm wanting to test them to make sure they still work but I don't want to tie up my whole network if they are messed up (ex: sending out "noise" that will slow the network down) The reason I'm trying to find a way to test them this way is because I don't have a secondary network set up for testing yet. :(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice