HP JetDirect Printer Servers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sdante

Does anyone know how to test HP JetDirect Printer Servers without putting them on a network? There is a Self Test function but is that enough?

sdante

Yes, I dug through a lot of their support pages but couldn't really find much. Maybe that is all there is to it; just running the self test.

yea... I'm sure you got a handbook too.
I'd just play with it... but read the book so you don't miss out on something.

sdante

Ok, well I was just hoping there was a "trick" someone knew of for testing those things. Thanks! :)

Connect a printer ( I believe it must be a HP printer as default ) to the parallel port ( first port fot 500x models).

Push the test button for a few seconds.

A configuration print-out is printed with the configured IP-addresses. Connect your jetdirect to your computer with a crossover kabel to the lan port and ping to the jetdirect like --> ping 192.168.1.1. If you get a reply you may sure its working.

For windwos XP you just defining a standard Ip port with this IP address and you can work with it. For other OS you use better the HP software.

Not testing them on a network wouldn't be much of a test of their functionality would it? What are you trying to test?

sdante

I'm wanting to test them to make sure they still work but I don't want to tie up my whole network if they are messed up (ex: sending out "noise" that will slow the network down) The reason I'm trying to find a way to test them this way is because I don't have a secondary network set up for testing yet. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!