1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop Black Screen With Blinking Cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MJR4, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MJR4

MJR4 Thread Starter

I'm trying to boot up this HP laptop that shows a black screen with a blinking cursor after the HP logo. I've tried using a windows 7 recovery disc to repair start up. I've restored the computer to an earlier date that it was working correctly. I've ran every test in the computer's built in diagnostics, and every single one has passed, and no errors in any part of the system were reported. Also, the computer will not start up in safe mode or anything like that.
    Does any one have any clue what's going on and how i could fix this?

2. Megabite

Megabite

When you try Startup Repair...does it find a Operating System and are you using a DVD with W7 on it?

3. MJR4

MJR4 Thread Starter

i'm using a system repair disc made from the backup and restore section of the control panel. and when i used this, i had to make the computer boot from the cd.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Did it work before and how old is the Laptop?

5. MJR4

MJR4 Thread Starter

oh yeah, it worked fine before. This happened like 2 weeks ago, and the laptop isn't even a year old yet.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Did you get any DVDs with the laptop?

7. MJR4

MJR4 Thread Starter

No, i don't think there was anything with it

8. Megabite

Megabite

You can see if it has a recovery partition but be aware that if it is possible to recover the System it will Overwrite all your data. To check try F11 on startup

9. MJR4

MJR4 Thread Starter

doing this also brings me to the black screen with blinking cursor

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice