1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hp laptop disconnecting from the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whiteowl2002, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteowl2002

whiteowl2002 Thread Starter

Had the exact same problem with my new HP touch sleekbook. It kept disconnecting from the network every few minutes..... I tried everything I could think of, disabled firewall, various tools, changed virus software, various settings tweaked, startup items disabled..... NOTHING WORKED....... Then I went on to my router and changed setting from auto channel selection to "always use channel five" (random choice) MY laptop has not disconnected once since....... :) :) :) Hope this helps you too.....

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I thought I would answer your post, as although helpful, may actually cause some issues for people searching and following the advice

The issue you have would be due to wireless interference and choosing a random channel is not always the best choice
    You need to use a tool like Xirrus to look at what channels are in use and also at the time when the disconnect occurs - what wireless networks are on and in use , often other networks are on auto and the channels change

for 2.4ghz range of wireless
    there are 1 -14 channels available globally -
    1-11 is allowed in US
    14 only in Japen
    and 1-13 rest of the world
    see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Channels 1,6,11 do not overlap - as shown in diagram attached- so they are often the ones to try and select

The 5ghz wireless range is sometimes a good alternative , for a crowded wireless environment, if equipment supports that signal

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice