Solved HP laptop G42 overheating "Thermal shutdown occured"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

polova

My HP laptop is overheating, FAN is very noisy. It says Thermal shutdown occured......System temperature(90D).

I have remove all dusts from air vents and heatsink,update BIOS and apply new thermal grease on CPU but problem still persist. Windows shutdown automatically after a few minutes. Is there any expert who can solve this issue. Thank you.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
You either used too much/little thermal paste, or the fan may need to be replaced.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sometimes the heatsink gets clogged with dust, hair etc. This can be hard to see but you should check for this if you didn't do so already.

The video shows what I mean and also how to clean the fan thoroughly, which might stop it being so noisy :-

There are only about 500 flavors of the G42 so, if you want accurate information, I need the full model number or the product number (almost always ends in #ABA) from the HP sticker on the bottom of the laptop.
If; however, it is an AMD model, the odds are overwhelming that the GPU (Radeon something) is overheating; they're infamous for doing exactly that and are not part of the CPU chip.

polova

There are only about 500 flavors of the G42 so, if you want accurate information, I need the full model number or the product number (almost always ends in #ABA) from the HP sticker on the bottom of the laptop.
If; however, it is an AMD model, the odds are overwhelming that the GPU (Radeon something) is overheating; they're infamous for doing exactly that and are not part of the CPU chip.
Hello mate. The model is LG315PA#AB2

Its a Japanese flavor of an HP G42-474TX and here is the US support page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...-series/4346229/model/5053107/troubleshooting
Unfortunately, the specs are unavailable and it shows two different possible graphics devices. One is the Intel HD which almost never has overheating problems; but, the other is an AMD and, in that vintage (2011), they had huge problems with overheating.
If it will stay running long enough, do Winkey+R or start -> Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC in the box then hit ENTER. The device manager should appear. Click the arrow next to Display Adapters and tell me what it thinks the video device is?
BTW (By the way), you may be able to seriously lower the temps by raising the back edge of the laptop with two rubber feet, a pair of erasers, or even a pair of pencils. Just a little more vertical space underneath can lower the temps a lot.

polova

Its a Japanese flavor of an HP G42-474TX and here is the US support page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...-series/4346229/model/5053107/troubleshooting
Unfortunately, the specs are unavailable and it shows two different possible graphics devices. One is the Intel HD which almost never has overheating problems; but, the other is an AMD and, in that vintage (2011), they had huge problems with overheating.
If it will stay running long enough, do Winkey+R or start -> Run and type DEVMGMT.MSC in the box then hit ENTER. The device manager should appear. Click the arrow next to Display Adapters and tell me what it thinks the video device is?
BTW (By the way), you may be able to seriously lower the temps by raising the back edge of the laptop with two rubber feet, a pair of erasers, or even a pair of pencils. Just a little more vertical space underneath can lower the temps a lot.
it is standard vga graphics adapter

Please run DEVMGMT.MSC again, double-click on that "standard vga" device, go to the details tab, click the down arrow next to DEvice Description, choose the second one down (Hardware ID's), right click on the top entry and copy, then paste it into your reply, OK? (mine, for example, is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_041E&SUBSYS_78501462&REV_06)

polova

Please run DEVMGMT.MSC again, double-click on that "standard vga" device, go to the details tab, click the down arrow next to DEvice Description, choose the second one down (Hardware ID's), right click on the top entry and copy, then paste it into your reply, OK? (mine, for example, is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_041E&SUBSYS_78501462&REV_06)
here you are mate:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E4&SUBSYS_1426103C&REV_00

polova

Yes i did what you told me. i raise the laptop and i manage to use it for 3 minutes then it shut down. i have installed the driver. i will test and let you know

Its a royal PITA (pain in the a**); but, here is your maintenance manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623161
On page 92 is a picture of the fan/heatsink assembly; but, it is the part that is underneath #3 in the picture, not the CPU, which is probably overheating. It should have a gray or blue thermal pad that presses against the graphics chip.
Did you already take it apart once AND, if you did, did you replace that pad?

polova

I have just updated to the correct driver mate from the link above and there you are..everything seems ok now.. Fan is no longer noisy and laptop stops overheating and shutting down. You saved me man. Thank you very much!!!

You're welcome!
But; as a note, WhatsApp only works on Windows 8 or above and I still use Windows 7 so I can't install it....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online