1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop Monitor Has Black Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gracie1979, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gracie1979

gracie1979 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an HP G60-121WM Laptop computer and I was wondering if anyone had any help regarding a laptop that all of a sudden the monitor is black. The laptop seems to power on but the laptop is bad. I've tried taking the battery out and unplugging the charging cord, then holding the power button for about 30 seconds and then plugging it back up and powering it back on and that has not helped. I've also tried hooking it up to another monitor, but it has the black screen on the other monitor as well. Finally I've also taken the ram sticks out and switched them up to see if there was anything with those that could be causing the problem and it didn't seem to work either.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Shine a (flash)light onto the laptop's screen. Can you see a faint image ?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Do you get any indication that the laptop is actually running? LED lights? Windows Start sounds? Fan Running? DVD Drive light or sound?

4. gracie1979

I don't see any faint images of the desktop when I shine a flashlight onto the screen but the laptop is running. The power light comes on and lights up along with the wifi light,you can also hear it booting up. It will let me eject the disc drive as well when I push button to open it up too.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There should be a Key Combination such as Fn+(one of the F Keys) that would switch between the Laptop Display and an external monitor. Have you tried this? From what I can tell this laptop came with Windows Vista installed, making it a rather old laptop. It may be that the Graphics adapter has failed. If it is as I suspect and is several years old it may not be worth the expense of repair. A failed Graphics adapter would require a motherboard replacement if you could even find the proper motherboard.

6. gracie1979

I did try holding the Fn + F10 (I believe it was) but it still showed no signal on the external monitor.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP G60-121WM Notebook PC (FT468UA#ABA)

It originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and Norton Internet Security 2008, so it's about 6 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to this guide at flavallee's link, under User Guides > Pointing Devices and Keyboard, switching between displays is done with Fn + F4 so give that a try.

Download link :- http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01540939

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice