1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop not booting, Please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simonps71, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simonps71

simonps71 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    It's good to be a member of your forum. Now help me damn it! I have an HP laptop dv7 (3865 I think?). I turn it on last night and the screen won't come on. The LED lights light up and the hard drive spins away. I can even open the disk trey. I have absolutely no display though, and the LED lights and buttons are lit up but completely unresponsive.

It really seems like it's stopping in the middle of the boot process (except for the ability to open the disc trey. That throws me.), or at least I was hoping it was doing that because of a lose ram stick. When I went to check them, one ram stick did seem like it was lose, but when I reconnected them I had no luck.

I know it's an old laptop, but I can't afford to repair it or buy another one right now. I really need this thing urgently. I'm a software engineering student, and not having a laptop for school just won't do.

Any advice or tips or magic would be infinitely appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Edit I have attempted holding down the power button after removing battery, securing ram sticks, and at multiple times through out the process hooking it up to an external display.

2. xpuser35776

xpuser35776

you have to key a few buttons to transfer video to external monitor

3. simonps71

simonps71 Thread Starter

I know. There is an external display button. On mine it's F4. I really don't think it's solely a display issue though, or I would be able to navigate it blindly a little bit. I get no response from LED lights such as volume and wifi switch, and can't get a sound out of it for the life of me. If it were just a display problem I would be able to get logged on and at least hear the notification of turning on sticky keys by hitting shift 5 times.

4. dai

dai

shine a strong light onto the screen and see what you can see in the background

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice