1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop optical drive not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ARud32, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ARud32

ARud32 Thread Starter

The optical drive on my HP ( Model # dv9628nr ) laptop isn't reading ANY discs that I put into it. I've tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers, putting various cds and dvds into it, and it will not read them. What happens is the disc begins to spin, the drive sounds like it's going to work, but then the disc stops spinning. The drive still sounds like it's trying to read the disc before, during and even after the disc stops spinning. I've tried manually starting up the disc by going into "my computer" but it does not work. I've tried cleaning the lens, blew some air into the drive, but still nothing.

Am I missing something? Is the drive bad and it needs to be replaced? The 1 year manufacturer's warranty has expired, so any repairs or replacements needed I would have to/rather do myself. Where is the cheapest and quickest place to buy a replacement drive for the laptop?

2 other quick items of interest. I'm running Vista. Also, a couple of weeks ago I underwent the task of ripping all my cd's onto my computers (I have 2) and this particular laptop/optical drive was extremely slow at ripping the cds (about 45 min to an hour per cd, whereas the other computer was 5 to 7 min).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ARud32

ARud32 Thread Starter

I've noticed that some people have viewed this post... any suggestions?

3. ARud32

ARud32 Thread Starter

No ideas at all?

4. CDATech

CDATech

HP optical drives are notorious for going bad. I bought 2 compaq/HP v2000's and both optical drives have gone bad. Luckily there is ebay. Purchase one on ebay and you will most likely be able to do it yourself. Make sure the drive you're purchasing is compatible with your laptop and th swap is usually pretty easy!

5. nate8282

nate8282

i agree those drives go bad alot, I recently bought a brand new HP laptop for someone in the office and that drive went bad after 3-4 uses. It's a common problem with their laptops, but replacing it is really easy. Usually it's just one screw on the bottom of the laptop.

6. ARud32

ARud32 Thread Starter

Ok, so then I guess the next question is which drive would be a good one to replace it with? Obviously I don't want to go with another HP drive lest the same thing happen to me again. Any good recommendations?

Thanks for responding!

7. bigbear

bigbear

8. CDATech

CDATech

As to what brand to get..well it's luck of the draw. Usually an OEM has several different manufacturer pump out optical drives for them. Some fare better than others. You'll just have to give one a shot on ebay.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice