1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP laptop randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCross, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a HP xf335 notebook, that about two weeks about began shutting down randomly for no reason. I and running windows xp home. I have contacted HP and have updated the bios, cleaned the fan vents, changed some of the recovery settings. Still nothing seems to fix this problem. I think that it might be over heating only because when I first turn it on it will run for about 20-30 minutes before shutting down. Once it shuts down, it doesn't stay on for more that 30 seconds if that. The bottom also seems pretty hot. But I can hear the fan running so I know that it is working okay. I then thought that maybe the battery was bad but it still happens with the a/c adaptor connect by itself. I even tried to discharge the notebook but it still happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem.

Thanks
    Jim

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Any new hardware installed?

3. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

no, I haven't installed anything, hardware or software. Could windows itself be causing this problem. I thought about doing a reinstall to see if that would solve this issue.

4. snappy_31

snappy_31

on a desktop usually heat or ram will cause reboots .. not sure if any "power related" settings in a laptop would be causing your issue.

software usually doesn't reboot you unless its an update from windows or Anti virus etc that asks first

maybe a laptop guy will know the answer to power related things to help ya

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!