HP laptop screen suddenly gone green

Thanks Mark (y)

One problem I have (which I think they should make much clearer to everyone) is that the Microsoft product key on the sticker under the laptop has gradually worn away and is not legible any more ?
You can still try going the free Windows 10 upgrade route but I would suggest we check the condition of the present HDD first "how to" below;

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on Attach files...desktop...find the screenshot.. select it and click on the Attach This File tab...then on the lower right....click on Post reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

rumi

Hi Again,

I had a go and it seemed to run ok (very quick) The output file is a little strange it won't maximise and I couldn't grab and expand the borders.

So instead of a scrren print I tried saving the file as a jpg which worked ok but still doesn't show the complete output. However it's only 110kb so confident it will load here. Hopefully you can see enough, or maybe let me know where I'm going wrong.

there were 4 exe files to run
Diskinfo 32
Diskinfo 64
Diskinfo A32
Diskinfo A64

I chose Diskinfo 64 This is the output

CrystalDiskInfo_20211013204200.jpg

We can see now why the HDD has not overheated and/or failed because of the heat or being overly full, you actually have a small capacity SSD in there, SSDs are more durable, if the drive has been changed the product key may have been as well, use Magical Jelly Bean (free) to find the present OS key that is presently in use on the computer, make a note of it in case you need to enter it later on.

Two suggestions for you;

Download yourself a free Windows 10 ISO from here. You want the second option - to use on another computer etc.

Once you have your ISO, try the first option at the same link to see if you can upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool.

rumi

Hi thank you for your reply

I tried to download Jellybean but Microsoft defender blocks it as a PUP ??

What benefit (other than support updates) would I have by installing windows 10, I really don't like using windows 10, I can't find anything when I try to use it, (where on Earth is the control panel ??)

I tried to load Win 10 onto a notepad computer that had a students version of windows 7 on it (windows lite if you will ). I managed to get win 10 on there but it runs really slowly, Win 10 is too big for it, and I get hassled to register it every time I try to do anything.

Also I have full suite of MS word, excel, powerpoint, access, on my elitebook, I don't want to risk them not working.

But I'll have a go if you think my fears are unfounded and the potential benefits worthwhile.

Anyway, still plodding along with the green screen, the only problems so far are that it's not very clear in bright light, and I was unable to highlight text in red as I couldn't see the colours in the colour chart ?

Thanks

Rumi

rumi

I managed to download the Jellybean utility and have a record of my product codes

rumi

I don't know why Phil has stopped responding, is there anyone else that can take over ?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not sure where Phil (@phillpower2) is these days.

What, exactly, do you want to do now? Did Magic Jellybean provide the full Win7 Product Key? I'd kinda be a bit surprised if it did.

rumi

Hi Mark, the product code that I got looks pretty full, there are 25 Alphanumeric characters in the form

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

rumi

Hi Phil, welcome back,

yes sorry to disappear on you, but the UK relaxed their travel restrictions on Oct 4th and this meant I had to go into panic mode to organise a very complicated trip to renew my visa before it ran out. Green laptops were the last thing on my mind for a while :)

Can you pick up from my Nov 2nd reply, ignoring the Jellybean stuff, which I'm pretty sure is ok. Maybe after reading my reservations about Win 10 you may feel there is nothing further to do, but I would still appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

Thanks as always, Rumi

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, what do you want to do? Do you want to replace the SSD with a larger one? Replace the OS with Win7? Upgrade to Win10?

Just bear in mind that this is an elderly laptop and you may not be able to find drivers for some of your devices for Win10. You may want to put any money you're willing to spend into a newer laptop that would likely be much faster than the one you're trying to resuscitate there. And, you won't have a green screen ... ;-)

rumi

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The first thing I would like to do is for you to confirm that the format of the Microsoft product code looks complete.

Secondly if you also refer to the post I made on November 2nd, you will see that in order to help me make a decision of what to do next, I raised several concerns rearding installing Windows 10, and asked about the benefits (other than supported updates) that might mitigate my concerns. As I have not had any feedbback on this I am still not able to make the decision of what I want to do.

I think I have already mentioned that I have already bought a new laptop. So the issue of preferring to spend money there does not apply.

However I think I may also be misleading you with my comment on Nov 2nd. In that post I gave information of my experience of installing Windows 10 onto a netbook which was not powerful enough/not enough memory to run it efficiently. The OS on the NETBOOK was a student version. The OS on my ELITEBOOK (which is the computer we are talking about) already has Windows 7 professional installed, so there is no need to consider installing Windows 7 again.

I didn't start the thread with any thoughts of upgrading the Hard Disk, nor the operating system. Phil suggested upgrading to Win 10 and I am prepared to consider it, if someone can allay my fears.

Thank you

Rumi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online