1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop Shuts Off Immediately After Removing Plug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tim_viper, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_viper

tim_viper Thread Starter

Hi TSG guys,

Here are my laptop specs: HP ENVY Ultrabook 4-1050ca
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8094 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 449582 MB, Free - 208561 MB; D: Total - 27044 MB, Free - 2849 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1894
    Antivirus: None

I've searched this on the forum and other sites and have found similar threads, but no working answer. My laptop is about a year and a half old and works perfectly fine until yesterday. With no previous warning, when I unplugged my laptop yesterday to use it on battery, suddenly it completely shut off - literally the second I unplugged it, as your desktop would when your power goes out in the house.

If I tried to power it back on without the plug in, there would be no response, as if the battery was completely drained. Once I put the plug back in the charging light goes orange (charging) for a few seconds, then goes white (indicating fully charged). I can power on the computer as per usual, as long as it's plugged in. But again, removing the plug makes it INSTANTLY turn off. If I check the battery indicator in the lower right hand corner, it says "plugged in, not charging" and is stuck at about 92% power, not gaining or losing power.

On a side note, my battery life is good as I always fully drain/charge it and prior to this, always lasted 2+ hours or so while not plugged in.

I have ran the HP Battery Check from HP Support Assistant and it has given an "OK" status
    [​IMG]

Via HP online support, they also went to Device Manager >> Batteries >> Microsoft ACPI-Copliant Control Method Battery and uninstalled/reinstalled that driver (can't remember exactly what they did).

I also went into HP Advanced System Diagnostics (F2 @ startup) and did a Battery Test via, Hard Disk Test (Extensive), Start-Up Test, and Memory Test and it passed all of those with no problems.

In addition, I tried creating my own Power Plan (as opposed to "HP Recommend" or "High Performance") and that did not fix the issue. And I checked advance settings in power plan to make sure that there were no weird settings like "put the computer to sleep @ "XX"%" and found nothing unusual. To reiterate, the computer goes dead the second the power source is removed, not like a hibernation, but like a complete loss of power.

There appears to be no damage to the pin or outlet itself externally on the laptop either. If anybody can help to troubleshoot this it would be much appreciated!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Based on your description of the problem, I would say it is almost certainly a faulty battery. The symptoms you describe are typical of that. Either that, or a faulty connection somewhere between the battery and the laptop itself, either way it sounds to me like a hardware problem. The more likely option, in my opinion, is a battery fault as that is far more likely to fail.

The indicator lights are by no means infallible, if the battery is outputting the right signal you will get the right lights, this is entirely possible even though there may be a fault, albeit fairly unusual. The lights are only an indication, not a definitive indication of status.

If it is still under warranty I would RMA the laptop and get HP to fix it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice