1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP laptop turns on then off immediately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cameronspc, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cameronspc

Cameronspc Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion dv7 and when I press the power button it will turn on and I can hear the fan for about a second and then it will shut off. Sometimes it will stay on for 2 seconds, etc... then shutoff. I don't get any beeps or flashing lights. It just shuts immediately off when I press the power button. What could this be?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Also i noticed that when I plug the AC Adapter in it will turn on then off immediately but if I take the battery out and leave the ac adapter in then the laptop won't even turn on at all. The AC Cord is working though because I plugged it into another laptop and it started charging it.

2. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Yeah, I had the same problem with an old laptop of mine, and it turned out to be a fried motherboard. Based on what the cost is to replace your laptop with a similar one, I would bring it to a computer store and ask for the motherboard to be changed out. I will warn you now you can pay up to $400 for a laptop MB change. I would consider getting a second opinion other than my own before buying a new MB.

3. Cameronspc

Thanks for the reply. Ya I just ordered a new dc jack for the laptop and I found this used motherboard on ebay here so i'll go ahead and order one to test it on and see what happens. I'm really hoping it's not the cpu or something like the heatsink?

-Cameron

4. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

The board looks good, however laptops have notoriously hard MBs the replace, might want to have a profession install that one for you, but that's just my opinion. As for the CPU or heatsink I doubt it. If the CPU was bad the computer would still boot to an extent, since when you hit the power button the computer runs the BIOS, which is all on the MB and the CPU wouldn't affect it.

5. Cameronspc

Oh ok thank you. But when I turn it on I still don't get the bios. Nothing comes up on the screen )-: it literally turns the fan on for 1 seconds before anything is displayed and shuts off. Really weird.

Thanks

6. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Then it's definitively the MB. Time to change it out.

7. Cameronspc

Alright thank you! I will get it replaced. Thank you for your time and quick replys!

-Cameron

8. thedancingman432

thedancingman432

Welcome. I hope your computer works again soon.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007228