1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HP Laptop/Win 10 BIOS update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Steviem66, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steviem66

Steviem66 Thread Starter

Does anybody here have any idea how to go about flash updating the BIOS on a HP Laptop running Windows 10? Annoyingly HP do not provide support for Win 10 OS, only Win 7. HP support aren't particularly helpful and I'm also getting conflicting information from them. I downloaded a link for the update which they gave me, but without any assurances that it would work because it's meant for Win 7, I'm therefore fearful of bricking the laptop if its not compatible. If someone can shed some light on this I would be grateful, thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The BIOS itself is not for any particular OS, its just the installer that may have an issue, the BIOS itself is compatible. And in most cases the installer will run without issue on other OS's too, if it wont it will tell you almost right away.

FYI, there's always a risk with a BIOS update so unless it addresses something that is affecting you you do not need to update it. No one can give you a assurance something wont go wrong with a BIOS update, it happens although rarely these days.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the model name and model number(M/N) of that laptop?
    What is the product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on it?

What BIOS version does it currently have?
    Why are you wanting to update the BIOS (besides the fact Windows 10 is installed)?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Steviem66

Steviem66 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply:

HP Probook 6555b Product n0. VM614AV Serial no. CNU1010PSV

BIOS 68DTM Ver. F.20 Date 15/9/2011

Basically realize there is a newer BIOS available, I think Ver. F60 and always prefer to have the latest updates.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that serial number, you have THIS HP ProBook 6555b Notebook PC (base model) which was purchased new in January 2011.
    The last BIOS update for it is F.60 Rev.A (sp73922.exe) which was released in November 2015.
    You appear to have BIOS update F.20 (sp54675.exe) which was released in September 2011.
    Updating the BIOS in itself is risky and can leave you with an expensive doorstop, so it shouldn't be updated just for the sake of having the most current version.
    If it doesn't address and fix a specific issue, there's no compelling need to update it.

Since Windows 10 is now installed in that laptop, it's possible that F.60 will be rejected and won't be allowed to install.

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. Steviem66

Steviem66 Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the replies, I think for now I will leave things be as there are no issues to speak of, but I'll take the comments under advisement. Many thanks

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Steviem66

Steviem66 Thread Starter

Well guys I decided to bite the bullet and update the BIOS.... it was one click and thankfully it went without a hitch, thanks again to all.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Why are you wanting to update the BIOS?
    If you are not having issues, then there is no need in doing so!

10. Steviem66

Steviem66 Thread Starter

@DaveA I guess you have a point, but I take the view that there are BIOS revisions for a reason and updating may reduce possible issues in the future. The one I had was way out of date. The update was a one click process and very straightforward it turned out. In fact I now find booting up and shutting down has been speeded up, so for me it was worthwhile.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have been using computers since the late 1980's and have upgraded the BIOS on ONE machine and that was way back when!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice